587,008 active members*
3,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arrow 500 Z axis problem

Hi all

I have a 95 Cincinnati arrow 500 with an FNC control that screwed up today. It went for a tool change and while is was approaching the tool it did a free fall and stopped about an inch short of the tool holder with an error code. The code is (9178 z axis excessive following error). So I did a bit of testing. I ran the z axis up and down at different feed rates. It is fine until it hits 90 IPM in the down stroke. At 90 IPM it makes a loud vibrating sound, but still moves without the error. At 100 IPM it will free fall and stop with the z axis excessive following error. It will travel upwards at any speed with no noise or errors. What should I look for next?

figure out you problem I have the same problem
    wondering if i can switch the maxax 200 with one of the 100 to check for bad drive

found out you cant well thought id try
    but for a temp fix just made my machine run no faster than 70 ipm
    call tech tommarrow

I have not found the problem yet. We think it's a bad transistor in the Max Ax 200 drive. I found a source for the $10 transistor but they have a minimum $250 order. And we're not 100% sure that the transistor is the problem. Do I take a chance for $250 or do I send the Drive off to Radwell for repair?

let you Know wednesday, for that is when the tech comes to check my machine. Let you know then.

I've ordered 2 transistors from another source. I'll post here if that is the fix or not. Won't know for a week or 2. Please post your findings from your techs visit.

Update

Hi is there any update on this?

My machine has gone nuts i cannot get it to calibrate for a tool change using the want. It tells be the data is not reliable. It does align itself though.

Wow....

I guess the Z axis is the flavor of the day for Cincinatti arrows lately. I just bought a machine that has a blown Z axis too. I was going to try to replace some components myself but it appears the board is damaged pretty good around the connector. I am going to see if it can be repaired but I may actually need another drive here. This is for the Emerson CT FNC control. Any of you guys have the same control? Anyone know where there is a spare Maxax200 for sale that is reasonably priced? I am hoping this one can be repaired but in case it cannot I will be needing another one. Peace

Pete

my tech told me the board i bought on ebay was bad also so i sent the board to global and they said the board was beyond repair but for about the same price there is a replacement its on its way keep you informed

thanks man....

Thanks for keeping us informed, I thought you said that you used the Maxax100 in place of the Z's maxax 200 to test, is that possible or were you just considering it. I actually have a spare maxax100 here that I was thinking of using to get the machine booted up but I dunno if that would be too much load. Did you actually try this? Also do you mind saying what they charged for the new replacement board? If you do not wish to say here you can PM me the info. if that is better for you. Thanks and good luck with your setup. Peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 1320feet View Post
    I've ordered 2 transistors from another source. I'll post here if that is the fix or not. Won't know for a week or 2. Please post your findings from your techs visit.
    The transistor didn't fix the problem. My servo drive was shipped to Emerson and landed there yesterday. Will know what happened soon. I'll be selling it after its fixed. I bought a 09 awea av 1000 and it will be here next wensday.

sent my board in was beyond repair got an upgrade board but having problems with my breaking resistor set up. its a digitax st drive anyone know anything about them.
    any help would be helpful

got the drive back and installed. All is wonderfull now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1320feet View Post
    Hi all

I have a 95 Cincinnati arrow 500 with an FNC control that screwed up today. It went for a tool change and while is was approaching the tool it did a free fall and stopped about an inch short of the tool holder with an error code. The code is (9178 z axis excessive following error). So I did a bit of testing. I ran the z axis up and down at different feed rates. It is fine until it hits 90 IPM in the down stroke. At 90 IPM it makes a loud vibrating sound, but still moves without the error. At 100 IPM it will free fall and stop with the z axis excessive following error. It will travel upwards at any speed with no noise or errors. What should I look for next?
    Give me a call same problems
    413-329-1503
    Mark