586,488 active members*
2,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is my new Hypertherm PM45 faulty?

I purchased my PM45 with a machine torch and hand torch a couple of months ago. I've only used it so far to cut bunches of bolt holts in 1/2 and 3/16 plate.

I cut 16 holes at a shot then the job is finished.

Never has the cooling fan ever turned on. Is this normal? If it is thermostatically operated how long of a cut is required in say, 3/16 plate, before the fan turns on?

I'm wondering if the wiring for the fan is messed?

Thanks,

Jim

The cooling fan is a "fan on demand" design. It will activate only when needed......and when it does come on do not panic....that does not mean that the unit is near the end of its duty cycle (we get a lot of calls on that as well!).

The Powermax45, like other Hypertherm plasma's, has a lot of unique features that you don't find in other systems. Most of these features are to either increase reliability and or performance.

The internal components are separated into a "clean side, dirty side".....when the fan is active....it moves air through the dirty side which has components that require cooling, but are not affected by shop dust....there also are finned aluminum heat sinks that transfer this cooling affect to the components on the clean side. The fan only operates when needed (temperature and microprocessor controlled), this limits the amount of dust that gets pulled through the system. Further, internal components that are susceptible to electrical shorting that could be caused by shop dust...are coated with a special high voltage conformal coating...each system is high voltage tested before leaving the factory to ensure this coating is effective. Circuit boards in the newer Hypertherm units are all vertically mounted (horizontal board mounting causes dust buildup).

Bottom line....enjoy the quiet of running fan-free with the Powermax45!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    I purchased my PM45 with a machine torch and hand torch a couple of months ago. I've only used it so far to cut bunches of bolt holts in 1/2 and 3/16 plate.

I cut 16 holes at a shot then the job is finished.

Never has the cooling fan ever turned on. Is this normal? If it is thermostatically operated how long of a cut is required in say, 3/16 plate, before the fan turns on?

I'm wondering if the wiring for the fan is messed?

Thanks,

Jim

I'm smiling as I read this!

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the great info.