586,357 active members*
3,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Are there cheaper options than mastercam

Looking for drawing and programming software for cnc milling that competes with mastercam for a lot less that is available to a small machine shop. Must work with haas controller. Anybody point me in the right direction

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use EdgeCam. The new version, 10 is pretty nice. I believe that a seat on 4 axis milling will run you about $8k, 3 axis milling is about $6k, A little pricey, to say the least, but it is in a league by itself compared to some other cam packages.

I have also used EZcam. I think its still made by bridgeport, or it used to be. It is , or was a very well priced cam software a couple years ago, somewhere around $2800 for lathe and milling. I remember putting out 15+ programs a day with it when i worked in a job shop. Ugh, i hated it, working in a small/sweat shop that is.

Cheers
    Mike
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Onecnc is the best reasonably priced Cad/Cam system out there, PERIOD.
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

I would vote Gibbs or Edgecam if you need reliable, strong toolpathing like Mastercam. For the price, you'd prolly have to go more expensive than Mastercam to find something that compares "all around" to Mastercam. Many places don't need the power, though, so the lower end items like OneCNC might be a good choice. It largely depends on what kind of parts you're going to make, and how much 'control' you want over the software.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    Many places don't need the power, though, so the lower end items like OneCNC might be a good choice.

One wonders if the author has used OneCNC XR2???

Quote Originally Posted by take a cut
    Looking for drawing and programming software for cnc milling that competes with mastercam for a lot less that is available to a small machine shop. Must work with haas controller. Anybody point me in the right direction
    I would get ONECNC XR2 PRO I'm using at a tool & die mold shop haven't found anything I couldn't model up ,make programs and machine yet.

Plus it only takes a 1 or 2 days to figure out how to use it.

a

Quote Originally Posted by wms

One wonders if the author has used OneCNC XR2???
    Not yet. But I've talked to a few that have, and they say that, while it's very easy to use and fast, it doesn't work as well for complex stuff, nor give the quality of toolpaths that you get with a couple other CAM systems.

I'm planning on getting an (out-dated) space-level microwave housing together and see if they'll demo it for me. It's going to kind of suck on dial-up. :tired:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Not yet. (snip) it doesn't work as well for complex stuff, nor give the quality of toolpaths that you get with a couple other CAM systems.
    Ya right.

Quote Originally Posted by wms
    Ya right.
    I notice you conveniently omitted part of my comment.

I thought I made it perfectly clear that it was something I've heard from others that HAVE used it. People that do complex parts and complex toolpaths.

I thought I also made it perfectly clear that I will be making the judgement myself.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I made this from a block of 6061 with an edition of Onecnc that is a version old. Drill, tap, countersink, z level rough, planar finish X2, thread mill, chamfer, etc. 6 setups. I did this when I was just learning the software, just as practice. Dead honest truth....it was easy.

Does it get more complicated that that for 3 axis work? I don't know, if it does I'd love to see the part.

Onecnc is good stuff even for complex parts. Lot's of guys on the Onecnc board are designing and making whole engines for light aircraft, dragsters. I haven't seen anything it could not do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AR.jpg  

Impressive for sure. I will be sending them something like these...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slh1.jpg   slh2a.jpg   slh2b.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Just a bunch of pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    Just a bunch of pockets?

Yeah, just a bunch of pockets. Plug it in, close your eyes, and push the big green button....

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rek'd, did I read that right, you on dial up? Wha? This part of some plea bargain agreement with the federales?

This must be one of those seven signs of the coming of the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    Rek'd, did I read that right, you on dial up? Wha? This part of some plea bargain agreement with the federales?

This must be one of those seven signs of the coming of the end of the world.
    It's the price I pay for getting out of the rat-race that was Escondido and buying some property in the country to raise my kdis. I struck a deal with Cox Cable and convinced them to run cable to my house. Hopefully shortly after the beginning of the year. :cheers:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I notice you conveniently omitted part of my comment.

I thought I made it perfectly clear that it was something I've heard from others that HAVE used it. People that do complex parts and complex toolpaths.

I thought I also made it perfectly clear that I will be making the judgement myself.
    There I quoted the entire post..

I believe most everyone could see I was "Rolling My Eyes" at the laughable comments made in the post..not who made them.

Come on guys, play nicely
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.