586,538 active members*
2,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need a Little Guidance

Hey all,

Been a lurker of the zone for quite some time, having always wanted to build a CNC machine, some days getting close to a purchase, but never quite, made the leap. I have a few different versions of David Solsylva plans, and think I am ready to take the plunge, just have a few questions.

I want to utilize a CNC machine for things such as guitar building (never even played one, just think it will be fun to build), RC helicopter, car, and boat parts and boat hulls, signage, and just plain old hobby fun. Obviously due to the need to create RC parts I would like the option to route aluminum (small depth passes of course), as well as various woods, maybe some carbon fibers, and definitely foams.

My question is whether the Solsylva palns are right for me, I know they are capable of all of these things, but I keep pondering the idea of creating an aluminum CNC router instead, so I am back and forth between the Solsylva and Fine Line Automation, CNCRP, and now even KRM Robotics, or Joes Hybrid. I by no means want to bash one brand and compare it to another; I am just looking for the best suited option.

I do not have a huge selection of tools (yet!!!), so the build process must be simple and straight forward. My budget is quite flexible, but I do intend on using CNCRP G540 kit, a bosh router, super pid, etc. Quite flexible meaning the $2500 + range is fine (whatever it takes to get the project done).

Unfortunately, I do have a size constraint. I would like to build a CNC router and house it in a 10x8 vinyl shed, and to maximize as much as space as possible, I want to build the CNC machine inside of a desk enclosure, with pc on the side, so that I can use the top surface for a work space. (See attached pictures).

Basically just want a little guidance, making sure I will be making the right decision. I think something I will enjoy is building a CNC machine myself (with plans) then going back and re-designing it to make it better and more suited to my tasks. Also would like to know if anyone has any cons of me building the CNC machine inside of this desk enclosure?

Desk enclosure details include, inside height of 35.5 inches, width of 44 inches, and a length of 65 inches (can be extended for bigger machine). The top surface will be made from plexiglass and mounted on gas springs, to allow easy access to the machined part, as well as the front will be made of plexiglass and be able to slide up (like a window). I included other features like an area for my pc and cnc controller equipment, as well as a bunch of holes underneath, and on the sides for easy routing of cables. Pictures 1 & 2 show just the cnc table enclosure and pictures 3 &4 show how I am going to try and incorporate it all in an 10x8 shed.

(I am aware that Joes Hybrid, and CNCRP kit is too big, but I figure I can resize the machines) Housed inside of the desk is the Solsylva 25x25 (modified to be a 25 x 36 inch) which I modeled myself (quite proud of that). The maximum size CNC machine I wouldn’t mind putting in this shed-shop would be a 24x48 inch.

Anyhoo, see attached pictures, and please give me some feedback:

Thank you guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Desk Assembly 1.jpg   CNC Desk Assembly 2.jpg   Duramax Woodbridge Shed 10 x 8 Layout.jpg   Duramax Woodbridge Shed 10 x 8 Layout 2.jpg  

I think working on your knees is going to be a real drag and you only have access from one side.

Chris

I think the fineline FLA 100 would be a good machine for you.

What are you planning on for dust collection? My first machine I made an enclosure for it. While I did like it for noise reduction, it was always full of saw dust. Work in a dust shoe design even if its in an enclosure.

I'd also make it so you can access 2 or 3 sides of the cnc easily.

Curious as to why you say FLA 100 over solsylva... I have not really seen much of FLA designs cutting aluminum, all I can really find on youtube, was a guy that reinforced his FLA 100 to be able to cut stiffer materials.

For dust collection I am going to hook up a dust shoe, and also thinking about putting some sort of manifold on the bottom, so I can pick up dust from the bottom of the table. (don't know if it is necessary) I want to hook all this up to a shop vac, with a cyclone system. Also want to have another manifold so I can access to other parts of the shop.

The only way I can think of to make the cnc accessible to 2 sides, is to put the cnc machine on drawer slides, so when the front pelxiglass is up, I can slide the machine out some.

I'd say of the machines you mentioned, the Solsylva would be the least rigid of the bunch. Mainly because of the linear rail systems. I do see that they have a V-Bearing machine now, but I've never seen one.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I really don't know much about the solsylva to be able to comment. I know the fineline machine uses CNC router parts components and having built my 4x4 with them I was impressed with the quality of the pieces. I've cut MIC-6 on mine while it didn't turn out great (more operator then machine problems) I would think the FLA-100 would do fine with what you want to use it for.

Here's a video of a CRP design I believe its the same as the FLA-100 cutting aluminum. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYoxwgVU62s]CNC Aluminum Tests - YouTube[/ame]

You are leaving an awful lot of space for a PC that could be used for more router. Get an Intel intel D525MW Mini-ITX motherboard for abour $75 and a mini case to suit it and you can reclaim a lot of that space.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd say of the machines you mentioned, the Solsylva would be the least rigid of the bunch. Mainly because of the linear rail systems. I do see that they have a V-Bearing machine now, but I've never seen one.
    I was thinking that the wood would be less rigid then the aluminum, but I know there are ways to reinforce wood to make it have similar strength properties. Like I said I do like the aluminum building better as it looks more professional and rigid. I think I am going to look elsewhere for a cnc machine.

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    I really don't know much about the solsylva to be able to comment. I know the fineline machine uses CNC router parts components and having built my 4x4 with them I was impressed with the quality of the pieces. I've cut MIC-6 on mine while it didn't turn out great (more operator then machine problems) I would think the FLA-100 would do fine with what you want to use it for.

Here's a video of a CRP design I believe its the same as the FLA-100 cutting aluminum. CNC Aluminum Tests - YouTube
    That was the exact video I saw on youtube, but I thought that was the same one with the reinforced FLA 100... Hmm must have been mistaken.

I think that I may consider the purchase of FLA 100 or FLA 200. Hey who knows I may order the kit tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    You are leaving an awful lot of space for a PC that could be used for more router. Get an Intel intel D525MW Mini-ITX motherboard for abour $75 and a mini case to suit it and you can reclaim a lot of that space.

bob
    I already have a pc, for my cnc machine, so buying another computer isn't really necessary. I know what you mean about the space, but I am assuming you are talking about the right hand side. The right hand side of the desk enclosure, is there to house my vinyl cutting machine, as I do stickers as well, and being that the CNC enclosure is the biggest workspace, I would like to use that surface for doing my stickers. Also do note that I would like to put a shop vac with a cyclone somewhere in there.

I know I got a little bit of redesigning to do now that I may consider a 24 x 48 CNC machine, but I believe I can work it. I am going to take your advice and resize some of the components though. The other thing I can do is just put a computer on top of the work surface (although it would look uglier).

I intend to fit 2 computers in the left cabinet, 1 for the cnc machine and my vinyl cutter and the other for design work/fun/gaming. I have read that it is better to have a dedicated computer for machine work, and although I am confident that I can build one computer that can handle all task simultaneously (web browsing, and cutting), I would rather have two separate.

Also considering the purchase of a bigger sized shed, this time 8 feet wide by 15 feet long, instead of the original 8 feet by 10 feet, which may cure some of my space considerations, although I will still want to build the cnc machine in a desk enclosure, so I can utilize that table top.

Anybody have any pictures or ideas for a small cnc shop, so I can get some better ideas?

i'm currently building a cncrp 24 x 48... machine actually measures 36x60
    i would re think the placement... if space allows.

i'm short, but even for me, working on the floor is something i really don't think i want to do.

link in my sig to my build... my basement shop is about 2000 sf though... so i do have some room to play
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    i'm currently building a cncrp 24 x 48... machine actually measures 36x60
    i would re think the placement... if space allows.

i'm short, but even for me, working on the floor is something i really don't think i want to do.

link in my sig to my build... my basement shop is about 2000 sf though... so i do have some room to play
    Your build looks awesome, I will be keeping posted on yours. I'm not to sure how to redesign some stuff, I am trying to make the space ergonomic, and utilize as much space as I can similar to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzABggABZX8]Cargo Trailer converted in to a work shop and tool shed - YouTube[/ame]

OR

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5mmNfp93XE&feature=related]Tricked out woodworking box truck - YouTube[/ame]

If only I can think of a way to incorporate building the cnc machine so I can have it come up, to a level surface like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfMS67hyeQ&feature=related]ikea tv lift - YouTube[/ame]

There are others including myself here who have done some aluminum cutting with Solsylva machines. Granted it is not ideal, nor close to, but with the right settings it can work.

I think the FLA or CNCRP kits are a good solution as well, and stiffer than a Solsylva. Regardless, a CNC router is not the most accurate way to mill aluminum; you'd be better off with a small CNC mill.

I cut phenolic on my Solsylva to build my second machine, which is based on some Solsylva principles, but different.

Here's my Solsylva cutting aluminum:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQ-NL5GGyA&feature=plcp]Milling Harley-Davidson logo out of 1/4" aluminum, part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

And my current machine:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpKLBXvtSs&feature=plcp]DIY CNC Router, cutting BMX chain sprocket, Part 1: Pocketing - YouTube[/ame]

BuckingFastard,

thanks for the compliments, way more to go... but i tend to get side tracked too much.

those box truck shops are pretty neat... for a contractor...

good use of space.

one comment though... i'm no expert but i've been reading and reading that stability/rigid is one thing to shoot for... especially in my case, when i want to work with alum sheets... but that raising ikea type thing for some reason, worries me.

i'm sure it'll be cool to have a cnc router undercabinet and still have the upper surface to work as shop.

let me ask you and perhaps the other pro's this...

while your cnc router and the sensitive sensors are working... is it wise to run a table saw or any machinery that can cause interferrence?

anywhoo, still learning as i go...

good luck,

Al

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    There are others including myself here who have done some aluminum cutting with Solsylva machines. Granted it is not ideal, nor close to, but with the right settings it can work.

I think the FLA or CNCRP kits are a good solution as well, and stiffer than a Solsylva. Regardless, a CNC router is not the most accurate way to mill aluminum; you'd be better off with a small CNC mill.

I cut phenolic on my Solsylva to build my second machine, which is based on some Solsylva principles, but different.

Here's my Solsylva cutting aluminum:
    Milling Harley-Davidson logo out of 1/4" aluminum, part 3 - YouTube

And my current machine:
    DIY CNC Router, cutting BMX chain sprocket, Part 1: Pocketing - YouTube
    Actually louie, your cnc machine was the reason I wanted to build the solsylva in the first place. You milling that harley davidson logo, when I first saw it some time ago inspired me.

Ok after some redesigning, I have come up with this much simpler design. This allows me to still use the table top as a work surface, and house the cnc machine in it, but the cnc machine will be at regular height (30 inches above the ground or so) I will be able to mount my computers underneath the enclosure, as well as shop vac etc. I have sized this enclosure for FLA-200. I measured it in E-Drawings and came up with 65 length by 40 inch width, and 20 inch height for my CNC enclosure (Just the enclosure not the whole desk). The top and sides will be on gas springs so it will be able to pop up, for easy access to the whole machine. Unfortunately this will raise the height of my working surface to around 50 inches, which will mean high stools, for comfortable work (I believe the ideal work surface height is anywhere from 36-42 inches).

I do like the FLA-200, but am concerned about a few things. For one, it does not seem to be any build instructions for assembling this machine (I have seen the beginning stages of assembly for one machine though, on youtube), as well as being an international customer, the lack of communication I have been reading about with FLA scares me (I know this is his side job).

I am aware that I can buy the hardware kit from CNC Router Parts, and then build the frame myself, but still, unless there is more then just those e-drawings files, I think I will find it confusing of where to drill and tap all those holes. E-drawings rendering for me is super slow, and prefer just working in solidworks. Infact if I got solidworks files, I am certain I will easily be able to create the frame myself, as I can convert to 2D drawings and print them out for drilling and tapping the holes.

Nevertheless, here is the new CNC desk enclosure (Still need to model it some more):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Desk Version 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BuckingFastards View Post
    ...but am concerned about a few things. For one, it does not seem to be any build instructions for assembling this machine (I have seen the beginning stages of assembly for one machine though, on youtube), as well as being an international customer, the lack of communication I have been reading about with FLA scares me (I know this is his side job).

I am aware that I can buy the hardware kit from CNC Router Parts, and then build the frame myself, but still, unless there is more then just those e-drawings files, I think I will find it confusing of where to drill and tap all those holes. E-drawings rendering for me is super slow, and prefer just working in solidworks. Infact if I got solidworks files, I am certain I will easily be able to create the frame myself, as I can convert to 2D drawings and print them out for drilling and tapping the holes.

Nevertheless, here is the new CNC desk enclosure (Still need to model it some more):
    i was concerned as well... i consider myself pretty handy but it was a bit overwhelming at start. no printout step by step instructions...

but if you look at some of the well documented build logs in here and also in youtube, you'll find that actual assembly of the mechanical parts is pretty easy. more so if you chose to use the fasteners provided.

I have just came up with another idea for a much bigger workshop, so I am now even thinking a bigger machine maybe CNCRP 48 x 48 inch or KRMx02 50 x 50 inch. Either way I will be building the machine, so its just which route I will want to take. Hmm..