586,898 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > cycle time from simulation

Smile cycle time from simulation

Good day to all,
    So have been using mastercam for a year now, and curious if there is an estimated cycle time that can be displayed associated w/ verify graphic simulation. Thanks everyone

Yes. Backplot. Extended Dialog. Info. See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backplot_cycle_time.jpg  

Now you can get an approximate that will be close if you only have contouring or pockets but I wouldn't use this cycle time for estamating new jobs or production scheduling if that's what you're after.

Backplot and Mastercam in general do not compensate for let's say pecking cycles on drilling and neither it does really read all rapid moves.

There is a lot of factors that can affect the real time, like how far you're from tool change position to zero position, machine dynamics, rapid acceleration/deceleration, etc.

I've seen some people customize it to a close extent but it does involve a lot of trial and error 'til you really figure out all the parameters to fill into your machine definition fields.

Bottom line it can be adjusted to be close but it takes time to do so.

I worry more about getting good programs to the machine on time

Quote Originally Posted by MMTZ View Post
    Now you can get an approximate that will be close if you only have contouring or pockets but I wouldn't use this cycle time for estamating new jobs or production scheduling if that's what you're after.

Backplot and Mastercam in general do not compensate for let's say pecking cycles on drilling and neither it does really read all rapid moves.

There is a lot of factors that can affect the real time, like how far you're from tool change position to zero position, machine dynamics, rapid acceleration/deceleration, etc.

I've seen some people customize it to a close extent but it does involve a lot of trial and error 'til you really figure out all the parameters to fill into your machine definition fields.

Bottom line it can be adjusted to be close but it takes time to do so.

I worry more about getting good programs to the machine on time
    What do you use that is 100% accurate for estimating machining times?

Been trying with Vericut but still can't say I trust it 100%. Reason why I made the comment is I've seen some inexperienced managers on some shops that think MC should be dead nuts and try to use it for their quotes.

It happened to me on the 1st shop I worked several years ago. Took a long time to make management understand the limitations within the software. And yet, I've seen people up to this date trying to pull cycle times straight up from MC for this same purpose.

I read he's been working with MC for only 1 year and was trying to pass along some of my personal experience.

What do you use on your end???

HTH

Usually when I am quoting, I use experience and intuition for simpler parts. Usually I am within 10% of actual time. On more complicated parts, I actually do the bulk of the programming before quoting and I use the numbers from MasterCam Backplot or Microcimm NC Code Analyzer, then I do a reality check on those numbers based on experience and intution. If the numbers seem way low, I bump them up a little (10%-25%). If the numbers seem way high, I might go down 10%, but not usually. I can't afford to intentionally lose money on any job. I would rather risk not getting the work with a high bid than lose money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMTZ View Post
    Been trying with Vericut but still can't say I trust it 100%. Reason why I made the comment is I've seen some inexperienced managers on some shops that think MC should be dead nuts and try to use it for their quotes.

It happened to me on the 1st shop I worked several years ago. Took a long time to make management understand the limitations within the software. And yet, I've seen people up to this date trying to pull cycle times straight up from MC for this same purpose.

I read he's been working with MC for only 1 year and was trying to pass along some of my personal experience.

What do you use on your end???

HTH
    Your perception of the MC backplot is really about the size of it. it can get you close but not spot on as there are other factors that are not handeld by the Machine and control def just yet.

As for Vericut it can use the factors that are missed in MC as this is primarily based on the individual machine and it characteristics of the control.

There is allot more behind the the software control on Vericut.
    MMTZ have you come to Cali for Vericuts class's they can be intense.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

open up a machine definition. there are buttons at the top of the page where it looks like you are suppose to be able to work with a 3d model of a cnc machine. to get real cycle times this part of the software will need to be completed. it does not work now. not sure why this was never finished and appears to have been abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    MMTZ have you come to Cali for Vericuts class's they can be intense.
    Hi Cadcam.

Sorry for the late response, was really busy tring to get everything ready for the weekend.

Technically I've never been to Cali before and never been to any sort of training at all for anything. All work acquired experience figuring out the details and the most important asking people for advice!!!

Just switched jobs a couple months ago and getting now to try vericut at this new place. There was another programmer here so I'm trying to keep up on their way of working.

They got the training I believe long time ago and well now I have to figure it out using the help files since I don't think they would want to spend on training again. Be sure I'll ask questions when I get stuck but for now I enjoy the challenge.