586,119 active members*
3,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting 2D router to 3D

I have a German made CNC router Easy 440 with stepper controller MC100F and CAM software NC-Easy & USB controller. As CAD program I have been using Vector, which was purchased together with the machine. The machine is mechanically strong, accurate & sturdy and I have been very satisfied with it, and it performs perfectly the 2D and 2.5D cutting functions.
    However I would like to convert my machine to full 3D cutting, but do not know which programs/electronics to choose. The programs should be affordable and easy to learn & use, because I am using it only for my hobbies (car, lorry & tank model building from scratch). I would be very happy if you could suggest me which programs & electronics to purchase (download).

I don't think you'll need to upgrade your router hardware in order to make 3D parts. It sounds like you've been using 2D software, so you've been getting 2D results. Try downloading some 3d CAD and CAM software and see if there's any reason you can't cut in 3D. A demo program would work to show you what's possible. Try downloading a copy of Rhino from Modeling tools for designers, make a 3D part by creating some curves and creating a surface between them, save it as an STL file, download the demo copy of DeskProto from DeskProto offers rapid prototyping using an affordable cnc milling machine: DeskProto is 3D cam software for model making. , pick the machine that's closest to yours, and use the 3D wizard to create a toolpath. My guess is that the 3D carving will work just fine.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks for your answer awerby! Exactly what I was looking for. I have to follow your instructions and see if I can get my router running in 3D.

At the risk of being called a ditto head.... What he said. If your machine goes up and down it will do 3D. You just need to give it 3D code to run.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

My machine is capable to go up and down, but there exist a myriad of suitable 3D programs, and the problem is to select the one that is affordable and suits best for my hobby purposes. A short learning curve is appreciated too.
    Does anybody have any experience of Alibre Design & Alibre CAM? Those programs seem to be promising at least on sales brochyres, and prices are attractive too.

I have not used Alibre, although I once downlaoded their demo.

I currently use ViaCad 2d/3d for CAD design work, and CamBam for generating machine code. They are not bad, but they aren't perfect either. I can generate semi organic shapes using geometric tools in VC, generate cuttable code in CB with some work. I chose them because they were the least expensive thigns I tried that worked, and I found the learning curve to be fairly quick for basic things, although I am still learning new tricks every day.

If you are doing mostly geometric 3D work the pair works very nicely together, and CB has some built in CAD tools and plug-ins that can enhance the experience.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com