586,655 active members*
4,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How to adapt metric ballscrew parts to 80/20 Fractional series?

How to adapt metric ballscrew parts to 80/20 Fractional series?

So I'm planning a new build of a 48x30 cnc router made primarily of 3030 and 1545 series 80/20 aluminum extrusion.

I'd like to use a ballscrew assembly with the MBA style mounting bracket, with the FK, MGD, and BF style support blocks for the ballscrew assembly. (see image)

The problem I'm having is this ballscrew assembly (and all the inexpensive ballscrews on ebay) are only available in metric series.

How can I attach this assembly to my fractional series 3030/1545 frame? I spent hours online looking for stepper motor mounting brackets, but couldn't find any that are specifically designed to adapt the stepper motor to the 80/20 extrusion.

Do most people just fabricate their own mounting plate or adaptor bracket?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metric ballscrew assembly.jpg  

This is exactly what I am working on now. My machine is made using the 8020 (15 series) extrusions. I just ordered a ball screw from Misumi and it is metric. The solution I am using is to make my own interface pieces from 1/2" plate aluminum. Basically the ball screw piece is mounted on the 1/2" alum and then this is mounted on to the 8020 extrusion. I am also going to use this 1/2" alum to mount the steppers. This is by no means my own idea as it has been used on countless 8020 machines.

1/2 mdf is an excellent material to make mock-ups of the alum interface pieces. It's easy to cut and glue together using CA (super glue).

I need to update my build thread, but spring projects are getting in the way.

Rick

PS. here is my build thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...ter_build.html

aluminum, a nice band saw or jig saw and a drill press and you can adapt about anything. You could consider buying standard 8020 plates and then just drilling/tapping the holes you need. May be quicker than making your own if you don't have the tools you need.

Matt

I'm interested in this as well. I will be watching you build thread Rick.
    Thank You.