586,392 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best approach to a DIY CNC

Ok fella's, I've spent the best part of a month working my way around various websites and blogs with the 'dream' that one day i could build my own CNC router, but here is the catch.

A year ago i started out as a freelance Industrial Designer, things have been going well but its still early days so my investment in personal projects must be wise.

I've got a few idea's of items to manufacture and sell to help offset the outlay of building of the machine, but these would only come in time..

The main materials i would be interested in machining would be Model makers Styrofoam (75mm), MDF (75mm), Plywood (75mm), Aluminum sheet (3mm), Carbon fibre (3mm).

So the question is what stepper motors, Stepper drivers, and spindle would best suit my needs to drive a machine bed size of A2 sheet of paper.

I am in the UK, so ebay so far has been the only real place i have looked for components but i know of a few commercial companies for bearings and couplings.

With regards to budget, sub £1K would be ideal as i want to invest the least amount to begin with, but eventually build up my capability. I will most likely design my own CNC chassis around the components recommended here, so data sheets are most welcome!

I also don't mind making the design Open-source, I am considering an arduino based controller much like the reprap project that feeds the G-code from a SD card rather than relying on a PC to feed the job over.

Don't choose unsupported rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Benonymous View Post
    Don't choose unsupported rails.
    How do you mean?

I was considering using linear bearings and not the homebrew style of angle iron and skate bearings if thats what you mean

Microcarve is what you're going to want to look at.

Hi Burnout,

Are you planning on building from a kit, or really building yourself, if the latter you will need access to some engineering equipment to start with. A few years ago I started down the route ( forgive the pun ) of designing & building a cnc router myself but I already had a decent sized lathe. Where abouts in the UK are you?, if near west yorkshire you are more than welcome to drop in and see what I built and how I use it. My background is model engineering, but lately I have been running batches of components for real money.
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    Microcarve is what you're going to want to look at.
    Oooo, any idea on what type of spindle i should use..

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
    Oooo, any idea on what type of spindle i should use..
    Depends on how serious you are. Most people use a trim router but you could get one of those .8kw Chinese spindles and that would probably work well also. I'm not sure if the machine could handle a heavier duty spindle and if it would actually warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmb View Post
    Hi Burnout,

Are you planning on building from a kit, or really building yourself, if the latter you will need access to some engineering equipment to start with. A few years ago I started down the route ( forgive the pun ) of designing & building a cnc router myself but I already had a decent sized lathe. Where abouts in the UK are you?, if near west yorkshire you are more than welcome to drop in and see what I built and how I use it. My background is model engineering, but lately I have been running batches of components for real money.
    Hi Davidmb, I am based over in the East (North Cambs and Norfolk).

I had been thinking of going down the route of self design, but with the aid of using an external waterjet company to fab the profiles thus creating most of my own kit to assemble.

The reason of self design is it's in my nature to do my own 'thing'. And to build a CNC router that i can swap the spindle for a extrusion head for FDM printing. All the 3D printing kits are crap IMHO, bearings and linear tolerance have major problems in there designs. I like the CNC router chassis for such a project.

I'm sorry, I gave a bit of bad advice. I thought A2 was closer in size to A4 (which is what the MicroCarve cuts).

A4 is essentially 16"x24". It's going to be nearly impossible to build a quality machine on your budget unless you have major connections. Lead screws, electronics, and rails will eat your budget up in no time.