586,647 active members*
2,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Motors spin only ~60rpm?

I just put together a computer just for Mach3 it is a P3 800Mhz. The OCX test runns good and Mach runs good. But when running motors they only spin around 60 rpm in both directions. Changing the Feeds and Jog nothing changes. On my other computer the setup runs normal but on this one no good. All settings are same. But when installing windows I followed the XP config guide from Yahoo forums.

I'm thinking it's the mother board, it is some Tyan Computer Corp one.

Any others things to check before ripping the board out!
    Dennis

It could be the computer or the settings of the computer.
    I have a laptop that just is not useable for Mach2...
    Here are some things to check.

Disable ALL power management settings in Windows AND in the computer's bios settings.
    Disable any running processes that are not needed (antivirus programs, windows schedular etc).

Check the "Motor Tuning" in Mach3. Make sure the steps per unit match the motor and driver you are using,
    example: I had similar problem when using Gecko 210 drivers that were in micro stepping mode. The stepper motor was a standard 200 steps per rev motor and I was using a 10 tpi lead screw that was direct coupled. So I set the motor tuning at 2000 steps per unit....WRONG. Since I was microstepping, I had to multiply that again by 10 to come up with 20,000 steps (or microsteps) per unit. Once I did this and set the velocity down around .5, the motors came to life!

I found another soket 370 mother board in some box and put that in instead and now things working good :wee:

Thanks for the advice Kap!!
    Dennis

This 800Mhz computer is running Mach3 with 45K pulse and 20K steps per inch at ~130 IPM, that is the limit it looks like. The Nema34 motors run very smooth
    Dennis