586,471 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Software for 3D Routing?

Hello all,

I just finished building an 3 axis, 4'x2', CNC router which uses a fixed 30,000 RPM DeWault compact hand router. I would like to use this machine for some 3D routing into wood or possibly plastic.

I somewhat understand the design/build process which includes a CAD program to design, a CAM program to develop G-code, and CNC software (I use Mach3) to send the G-code signals to the machine.

What I want to do is take a company logo and transform it into G-code. Before I decided to build my machine, I read an article about someone who took a black/white/gray image and and used the contrast of the hues to develop depth in the image (I assume a specific program is needed for this). This 3D image was then transformed into G-code.

Also, to get the precision that I am looking for, I would need a pretty precise end mill. However, I want to rout projects that are fairly large (1.5'x3'). Is it possible for me to do a rough rout first with a larger end mill and then switch to a smaller end mill? I don't know how this could be implemented into the Mach3 program or the G-code.

So, my two questions are:

1) How can I take a black and white company logo and give it depth to create a 3D image to generate G-code?

2) How can I rout a large, detailed 3D project without using a fine and precise end mill for the entire job?

I am just looking to be directed to something that may be of use to me. Not a lengthy, time-filling explanation. I don't expect that from anyone.

Thanks!

-Bart

microcarve V4Its a program that allows you to cut a 3d image of a picture. It's not really feature rich but it works and its cheap. But it does all the cutting in one pass.

Vectric Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining Also has a photo program as well as a 3d cad program. Photocarve does let you run a roughing cutter to speed up the cutting process.

I question if you really need 3d software for what your trying to do?

Here is a couple of links for vectors of popular logo's maybe you can find the company logo there.

Search | Brands of the World

"A" Category, page 1

Quote Originally Posted by bart cnc View Post

1) How can I take a black and white company logo and give it depth to create a 3D image to generate G-code?

2) How can I rout a large, detailed 3D project without using a fine and precise end mill for the entire job?
    I'm new to CNC too, but not to CAD so here goes:

To Question 1: There are several programs to convert bitmaps to 3D geometry or g-code. Check out Microcarve, PhotoVcarve, CNC4Free.org, CamBAM (built in plugin) and more I'm sure. How well any of these work will depend on the logo and the image. For a simple logo (EX: Ford logo) you will likely get better results if you draw it.

To Question 2: Any CAM program will allow you to create a roughing pass with a large end mill, and then a finishing pass with a smaller end mill. Refer to your CAM docs on how to fine tune that process.

Bob

Hello all,

I just finished building an 3 axis, 4'x2', CNC router which uses a fixed 30,000 RPM DeWault compact hand router. I would like to use this machine for some 3D routing into wood or possibly plastic.

I somewhat understand the design/build process which includes a CAD program to design, a CAM program to develop G-code, and CNC software (I use Mach3) to send the G-code signals to the machine.

What I want to do is take a company logo and transform it into G-code. Before I decided to build my machine, I read an article about someone who took a black/white/gray image and and used the contrast of the hues to develop depth in the image (I assume a specific program is needed for this). This 3D image was then transformed into G-code.

Also, to get the precision that I am looking for, I would need a pretty precise end mill. However, I want to rout projects that are fairly large (1.5'x3'). Is it possible for me to do a rough rout first with a larger end mill and then switch to a smaller end mill? I don't know how this could be implemented into the Mach3 program or the G-code.

So, my two questions are:

I am just looking to be directed to something that may be of use to me. Not a lengthy, time-filling explanation. I don't expect that from anyone.

Thanks!

-Bart
    What you are describing here, is a program I use called MeshCAM Art! It is software which will allow you to do exactly the kind of thing you desire. (Assign different cutting depths and shapes to specific levels of color, or shades in an image). It supports up to 32 colors for this purpose. No CAD program is really required, to use the software. Any bitmap editor will allow you to create your own artwork (custom logos, etc.) for opening into MeshCAM Art to edit the desired shapes and cutting depths.

It utilizes a roughing tool path (larger end mill), and a finishing tool path (smaller end mill). It features a 3D preview, of what the carving will look like, to allow you to do further editing to the assigned colors until you get it looking just the way you want. The G code produced, can be loaded directly into Mach3 to carve the piece. Unfortunately, there is a lot to be learned about 3D carvings with any software with this level of capability. So just about all of them require a "lengthy explanation". However, you will find that MeshCAM Art it probably about the easiest to use.

I do this all the time by creating a boundary around the portion of my project which needs to be cut with a fine end mill. I cut the whole project first with a larger end mill and go back to cut that second area with the fine end mill.

Thanks everyone!

This is just what I needed to get started.

-Bart