586,546 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Solid State DC Retrofit for Monarch 10EE

Solid State DC Retrofit for Monarch 10EE

Solid State DC motor controller with automatic field weakening is now available for the 10EE Please PM me for details.

"You get to keep your original DC motor and tail stock etc"

Whew. I was worried about losing my tailstock. That happens a lot when you modify the spindle drive electronics.

I asked about price, got nothing.
    It has to be cost effective for me to buy a retrofit vs. just buying a 60's or later lathe... which is like in better shape overall anyway. Given the cost of the tubes, that makes the decision even easier.

$1199 plus $50 shipping. Comes with 6 hrs of telephone support to help with the set up

thank you

Solid State DC Controller for 10EE Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    thank you
    Unit has a 5hp dc drive with automatic field weakening, anti plug circuit, fwd and reversing contactors, field loss protection. All the bells and whistles

Quote Originally Posted by beelindustrial View Post
    fwd and reversing contactors,
    Reversing contactors?
    I would have expected a 4 quadrant drive in this day and age?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Solid State Retrofit 10EE

Having it this way makes any sort of repair to the DC controller much easier to do. Keeping it simple

Re: Solid State DC Controller for 10EE Retrofit

Hot Dam ... Field weakening ... now there is a #1 reason for safety glasses. You ain't seen nothing until you see a DC motor self destruct when it loses a field

Re: Solid State DC Retrofit for Monarch 10EE

Yes this is why the D510 has a field loss relay. It is used to prevent a run away motor in the event the field is lost. The relay shuts the lathe down

Ha, ha ... I would like to have a dollar every time one of those failed. In the late 60's to the late 70's I was a Reliance field tech. It was a great time to be working in that industry because SCR drives were becoming both reliable and affordable. I did dozens of conversions ... MG to SCR but many field weakening changeovers required a regulator which was expensive. The Field loss relays were akin to the old car voltage regulators in that it was nearly impossible once it was adjusted to get any kind of reliability from it because it seemed like over a period of time spring tension changed due to heat and other factors ... add to that residual magnetism ... in many cases, kept the contacts closed even after a "Run away" had occurred. Some customers would use those centrifugal over-speed devices but many didn't do anything until a failure took place.
    I got a call from Nicolet (still can recall the name) regarding a run-away on a 150 HP motor .. when I got there they managed to stop the motor before it destoyed itself but debris was everywhere. I saw that the coupling was not on the motor/drive ( that coupling must have weighed well over 50 lbs) and asked why they removed it ? The plant manager said " Look Up " ... when I did I saw about a 2' hole in the roof .... Never trust a relay for field loss when there are so many solid state devices that do a better job

The biggest change in my lifetime was the introduction of "Rare earth" magnets for fields ... this allowed PM motors to be as large a 5 HP (or larger) without a wound field. It's also the reason portable power tools became a reality,

Actually the field loss circuit works just fine thank you. You should probably test out one of my units before you comment on it.

Protective devices like yours dude are the same as parachutes
    You have no idea if they work until you need them

Your only playing with your toys sonny ... unlike many people here that make a living on their machine tools. It's probably entertaining to see a machine over 70 years old still work however that luxury is reserved for those who don't have their backs to the wall trying to earn a living and need to eliminate potential problems.
    People like us have little time for nostalgia.
    By the way ... what current draw do you have the relay set too ? What's the drop out setting? If you don't have a clue then your simply using someone else's adjustment and the fact you have never checked it indicates that you really don't use field weakening for very high speeds

Are we talking about the standard Monarch MG set-up or an updated control ??

The field loss setting is solid state and is adjustable. It's factory set to drop out at 30vdc . The D510 is designed for the MG , WiAD and modular 10EE. The field is regulator is a solid state unit which via an opto scr reduces the field voltage as the armature voltage crosses over the motor base speed Once the motor hits base speed the motor is then controlled by the field regulator. the motor is protected by a proven solid state field loss circuit which drops out the main power contactor. The D510 is currently installed in a multitude of industries but is primarily in service with the military

Sorry ... I thought that you were talking about the old FL relay ... my confusion. However , you will see that I made a reference to solid state F.L. detection and when you said my "relay" works fine it sort of confused me.

Good Luck on your product .... it's time has certainly arrived