586,905 active members*
2,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Any GOOD free cam software? already searched forum, no good result...
Page 1 of 3 123

Question Any GOOD free cam software? already searched forum, no good result...

i have already searched the forum for free cam software but found some posts but no good result.

i now work with adobe illustrator to make DXF files and import them into Cambam for creating the toolpaths and G-code.
    but being the free (evaluation) version it can only produce 500 lines of G-code.
    this makes me have to export different g-codes of each object (because max 500 lines per export) instead of just exporting 1 g-code for the entire project.

also being student i still need to save up some money to get a licence of cam bam.
    i am pretty satisfied about the software so i'm looking for some free replacement software that looks alot like Cambam.

i've tried HeeksCNC and G-Simple but they can't even import my dxf files properly... they both only import some parts of the dxf but not the entire dxf file -> see the screenshots in the attachments

so if anyone knows about other free software comparible to Cambam, please let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails illustrator-screenshot.jpg   heekscnc-screenshot.jpg  

i've tried HeeksCNC and G-Simple but they can't even import my dxf files properly... they both only import some parts of the dxf but not the entire dxf file
    This is most likely due to Illustrator's poor .dxf export. Programs like Illustrator and CorelDraw tend to export .dxf files containing mostly splines. Most CAM programs (especially fre ones) won't read splines in .dxf files.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    This is most likely due to Illustrator's poor .dxf export. Programs like Illustrator and CorelDraw tend to export .dxf files containing mostly splines. Most CAM programs (especially fre ones) won't read splines in .dxf files.
    thanks, i'll first try autocad then and test it again.

I have not tried it but mach 3 comes with lazy cam. And I think the pro version is only $40.

With that said have you checked out any of the wizzards in mach 3? most if not all of what you have there could be done using wizzards but it would take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    I have not tried it but mach 3 comes with lazy cam. And I think the pro version is only $40.

With that said have you checked out any of the wizzards in mach 3? most if not all of what you have there could be done using wizzards but it would take a while.
    lazycam is realy crappy. it's a bit too basic and he does not even recognise circles when imported from dxf, he makes octagones from every circle :s

i've tried it with an autocad made dxf and heekscnc does not recognise the text and i find the program itself not verry logical, also g-simple doesn't import the dxf correctly and the program is NOT 'simple' to use. i still find cambam a better option. best to save up for a lisence key because there are no key's to be found anywhere on the internet...

Does cnc4free and its attachments do anything for you?

cnc4free.org homepage

Cheers!

need help too

Hi People
    I’m Dito from Tbilisi ,Georgia
    Need help
    Maybe I’ll ask silliest questions but I’m too new for cnc field and know practically nothing. I already have new 6040 cnc (Chinese one)
    It came with the Mach3 and it’s short manual (configuration of the software.)
    The manual says nothing about homing of the machine e.t.c.
    Sorry but I have many things to ask. These are my first questions:
    1)I have made some drawings in Corel draw, is it possible to make mach3 recognize them as g codes?
    Should I format them or my Corel drawings are useless and I should make g codes in other program?
    2) maybe somebody can help me with homing of the machine 6040?
    Thanks
    p.s I haven't even tested the machine yet
    Please answer

Here is an old AutoCad trick that works with AutoCad fonts (not TrueType) as well as splines and ellipses. This process will convert those entities into lines and polylines that most programs should import.

1) Export the drawing as a Windows Metafile. (use export or "WMFOUT").
    (NOTE: For better resolution before the export, zoom in close on any entity in the drawing, do a regen, and then a "zoom previous". (may not matter on newer versions of ACAD)

2) Now import the WMF file into a new drawing using the "IMPORT" command.

3) Entities will come in as blocks which you can now be exploded into lines and polylines.

4) This process usually changes the size of everything so you may need to re-scale them. Make sure you know the dimensions of something in the drawing to use as a reference, or add a line of known length to the original drawing and delete it when you are done.

Bob

thanks bob
    wow so many things to learn

Pycam works for me so far (for 2-D):

PyCAM - Toolpath Generation for 3-Axis CNC machining

** Don't forget to install the requirements:
    SourceForge.net: Requirements - pycam

inkscape
    pstoedit
    ghostscript

By the time you're done installing, you don't need any other software like
    illustrator or autocad. Inkscape will be your design tool, save to ".svg" file type. And then run pycam and import it directly. It also supports
    STL, DXF, PS and EPS.

thanks

I'm collecting the information.
    Later I'll post about what was I able to do and think that I will ask more questions.
    Glad that you people are so hospitable

i've tried it with an autocad made dxf and heekscnc does not recognise the text
    Text needs to be exploded before most cam software can read it. You need the express tools to do it, or use Bob's trick above. Another option for text in AutoCAD is OutlineArt.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by dito30 View Post
    Hi People
    I’m Dito from Tbilisi ,Georgia
    Need help
    Maybe I’ll ask silliest questions but I’m too new for cnc field and know practically nothing. I already have new 6040 cnc (Chinese one)
    It came with the Mach3 and it’s short manual (configuration of the software.)
    The manual says nothing about homing of the machine e.t.c.
    Sorry but I have many things to ask. These are my first questions:
    1)I have made some drawings in Corel draw, is it possible to make mach3 recognize them as g codes?
    Should I format them or my Corel drawings are useless and I should make g codes in other program?
    2) maybe somebody can help me with homing of the machine 6040?
    Thanks
    p.s I haven't even tested the machine yet
    Please answer

Dito30, you really should start a new thread instead of hijacking this one..

Text needs to be exploded before most cam software can read it. You need the express tools to do it, or use Bob's trick above. Another option for text in AutoCAD is OutlineArt.
    wouldn't converting text to curve function in corel take care of it?
    it converts ttf to curved outline art.

Quote Originally Posted by Phife View Post
    Dito30, you really should start a new thread instead of hijacking this one..
    :P yeah!

-> and i think my problem lies with the BOB itself.
    it does not recognise my switches but does recognise the E-Stop button when i make an automated switch setup.
    but he does recognise it to be at pin 11 nstead of pin 15 as it should.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but it is FREE and another tool in our free tool arsenal.

DOWNLOADS

Here's another free tool written by a member here I believe. Converting gcode back to a DXF doesn't sound like a tool you'd use very often but I actually use it quite a lot.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules/Downl...file.php?id=22

Sorry if I got off topic but you can never have to many resources.

The OP isn't using Corel, but again, the problem is really Illustrator and Corels .dxf export, which exports splines. CAM programs (especialy the cheap and free ones) tend to not like splines.

The text issue mentioned above was an AutoCAD issue, and not a general text issue.

Sometimes it's a requirement to know exactly what your CAD or drawing package is exporting, and what your CAM program is expecting when importing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

The original question was if there was a free CAM program similar to CamBAM. There is of course a free version of CamBAM. The 0.8 beta version is offered for free on the web site. No idea if that will support what he is trying to do.

For text check out F-Engrave. It's and open source and does v-carve text. I've played with it and it works quite well. If you use CamBAM you can import the g-code. There is also a thread here in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    You might be able to export as .hpgl or .plt... I think LazyCam in Mach3 reads these, I think other free cam can read these as well..

Page 1 of 3 123