586,488 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New, improved splash guard

Hokay, even with my fancy-dancy shower curtain splash guard, I was still getting wet. Got sick and tired of it, so I super-sized the concept. I used 3/4" aluminum u-channel, and 3 shower curtain liners from walmart. I went up 48" above the front of the tray.
    All 3 sides are covered, and there is a split in the middle, shown in the pictures. I can easily change tools, and even get to the E-stop button. Much quicker and easier to move out of the way. It won't stop any projectiles, but it does stop ALL of the splashing, now. :-) Took about an hour of build, $40 for the u-channel and $30 for the curtains liners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0001.jpg   IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg  

IMG_0005.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Took about an hour of build, $40 for the u-channel and $30 for the curtains liners.
    Very nice!

Agreed, very nice...

If you wanted something that will stop projectiles, you can add another curtain of the welded stainless mesh they use for shark-suits. A bit pricey at $35+ per square foot though. But you can see through it, and it'll stop most flying objects.

Nicely done! I used PVC pipe and thick vinyl, but I like the sliding curtain idea better.

I like it. Can you show a picture of how you attach it to the chip pan?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I like it. Can you show a picture of how you attach it to the ship pan?
    Why attach it? I would just let it sit there. For cleaning, lift it off, and you have full access.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I like it. Can you show a picture of how you attach it to the ship pan?
    I'll take one tomorrow. I just screw it in with 2 10-24 machine screws and nuts at each corner. It's very sturdy. Yes, you want to attach it, having it loose would be a big headache. Just pull the curtain out of the way for unfettered access.

Here's the promised pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Hokay, even with my fancy-dancy shower curtain splash guard, I was still getting wet. Got sick and tired of it, so I super-sized the concept. I used 3/4" aluminum u-channel, and 3 shower curtain liners from walmart. I went up 48" above the front of the tray.
    All 3 sides are covered, and there is a split in the middle, shown in the pictures. I can easily change tools, and even get to the E-stop button. Much quicker and easier to move out of the way. It won't stop any projectiles, but it does stop ALL of the splashing, now. :-) Took about an hour of build, $40 for the u-channel and $30 for the curtains liners.
    Does you enclosuer cover 3 sides or all 4? I like it either way.

I will occasionally use a cutter called a Shear Hog, and when I do, coolant goes EVERYWHERE, including all over me. Or if I have the coolant lines improperly adjusted when using any tool it can be a coolant disaster.

This enclosure would all but eliminate that problem.

Today is the day. I'll post pictures when it's finished.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I started with 3, then have strung a support cable across the back and covered it, also. It's needed for larger cutters.