586,485 active members*
3,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > What have you created on your retrofitted mill? Pictures please.

What have you created on your retrofitted mill? Pictures please.

Im finally close to having my CNC converted JMD18 mill back to running condition.

It has nickel & dime'd me to death so far but I guess its a love/hate relationship.In the process of ordering parts to get it back together & my regular work,I haven't had time to think of what im even gonna mill with it.

You hobby guys out there that do this for fun,what have you created with your machine? Please post pics.Im interested to see how creative you can get.

I did all the aluminium and acrylic on this guy:

It was the first real project I did on my cnc conversion so I learned a lot.

The machine is an RF-30 that had steppers bolted onto the handles:

The stock leadscrews have significant backlash and the quill is a PITA but it can certainly be useful. The entire conversion was very cheap as I picked up the mill a long time ago and only added steppers and a copy of mach3.

I am currently starting a proper CNC conversion on a g0704 with ballscrews, servos, etc... The more I use my current conversion the more I realize how much it is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    The stock leadscrews have significant backlash and the quill is a PITA but it can certainly be useful.
    By any chance would you have a close-up photo and/or description of how you motorized the quill?

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    By any chance would you have a close-up photo and/or description of how you motorized the quill?
    It is the same as the other axes, just took off the handle and stuck a stepper in its place:

This machine was only designed as a stepping stone so the conversion was done cheap and fast.

That being said, if you are willing to cut slow, deal with the round column and constantly be adjusting backlash with a dial indicator it certainly produces chips.

I also ended up converting the lathe in the same way (steppers on the handles). It has about 0.020" of backlash but it can do threading and all that jazz. I just have to be aware the machine isn't particularly accurate and go over it carefully every few parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    I did all the aluminium and acrylic on this guy:
    [img]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1769/dsc0554qg.jpg[img]

It was the first real project I did on my cnc conversion so I learned a lot.
    That looks nice!
    JMD-18 CNC Converted & PlasmaRoute Blaze HD 4x4
    Ran by very custom dust covered cpu's