586,555 active members*
3,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Table Help

Hi Guys,

Just got our rotary table installed on our Hardinge GX1000 and I am ready to run a part. I have a question regarding the rotary table brake that is installed. It seemed in my head that I would have the brake engaged whenever I was making a cut and then when I would rapid out of the part, unclamp the brake and rapid the table to the next position. However, the control (Fanuc Oi-MC) wont index the table, rapid or otherwise, without the brake being ON. In fact, on my first dry run, which I ran with the brake ON the whole program, I ended up getting a servo alarm on the rotary table. Am I over thinking this? Is it fine to have the brake on even when indexing the table? Or is there a parameter I need to mess with to be able to index the table with the brake off. Sorry to ramble! Thanks.

It sounds like you've got something backwards. It's probably a setting that is supposed to be changed when you install a rotary table. Somewhere deep in the parameters, you'll need to change that setting from active low to active high (or vice-versa, but since it didn't have an active circuit before, it's most likely to be normally open). Obviously, you shouldn't have to run the table with the brake on, so you might need a Fanuc expert to tell you where to look. Is there any tech support still available for your mill?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thanks Andrew, I have a call in to the guys who installed it but I was hoping it was something I could fix on my own. I'll let you know how it goes.