586,818 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 3D Surface Toolpath milling deeper than surface

Hybrid View

3D Surface Toolpath milling deeper than surface

I am machining some silicone molds and when I generate the toolpaths, the toolpath shows that it is under the surface. You can only see it if you turn the part to wireframe. However it only does this in the bottom of the channel not the sides. Attached are photos of molded parts. You can see that the bottom is thicker than the sides, also it is chamfering the edge of the mold which is leaving the pointed part on the edges. Any thoughts or ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics 004.jpg   Pics 006.jpg  

What version of MasterCam? Post the file you are working with and/or some screen shots.

I am running Mastercam X3. I will post some screen shots of the toolpaths so you can see what Im talking about.

Here is the toolpath shown in solid and wireframe. Since this is a surface toolpath operation Mastercam shouldnt machine any deeper than the surface right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toolpath.jpg   ToolpathWireframe.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by moto1965 View Post
    Here is the toolpath shown in solid and wireframe. Since this is a surface toolpath operation Mastercam shouldnt machine any deeper than the surface right?
    there are many factors that could cause the tool path to be below the surface. can you attach a file with just the problem tool path so others can look at it and offer suggestions?

Here is the problem toolpath. Its machining fine on the sides but 0.002" deep in the bottom of the cavity.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by moto1965 View Post
    Here is the problem toolpath. Its machining fine on the sides but 0.002" deep in the bottom of the cavity.
    i see what you mean. i was not able to get the tool path to not violate the faces you want to machine on your solid model and i could not find anything wrong with what you did. i converted your solid model to surfaces and it seems to machine the surfaces without violating them like it was doing with the solid. have you tried doing the same to see if it works for you? i tested your solid part and mastercam says the solid is good.

Re: 3D Surface Toolpath milling deeper than surface

I finally determined what the problem was...eroded tool probe. My Renishaw tool probe had actually eroded away or actually developed a dent/crater in the middle of it. The dent was so small I couldn't see it without looking at it under a magnifying glass. So the problem was large ball endmills (0.125") would probe fine because the tip was large enough not to go down in the dent but when I would probe a small ball endmill (0.010" or 0.020") the endmill would go down into this dent and the machine would record the length. But the actual length was a little bit longer by however far it went into the dent. I hope this makes sense and everyone should take a look at their probe anvil to make sure it doesnt have any issues.