586,129 active members*
2,728 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Sabre 1250 tool changer problems

Sabre 1250 tool changer problems

I have a '96 Sabre 1250 that with the awesome help of this forum is finally up and moving around. I'm dealing with the last couple of problems. The main problem now is that the tool changer will not move into position. I go into MDI and type M6T2 and the spindle raises to tool change position, the spindle orientates but the changer will not move into position and a couple alarms pop up. I can hear the solenoid shifting on the valve feeding the changer cylinder. The joints seem very rusty. I soaked down each joint with WD-40 and came in the house for the night. Any ideas on how to verify if the tool changer is rusted solid..easily? Maybe I can remove the bolt thru the eye of the cylinder and try to free it up?

Last question, any ideas how to change the wipers in between the way covers? The all seem to be coming out.

With the air off of the machine you should be able to move the tool changer by hand. Most likely you will not be able to move the full motion(due to the airt trapped in the cyl) but you should be able to move it some. Ours will swing out by themselves when the air is off. It should be really free to move. If you can't move it any by hand then your thought of rust if more than likely true.

Rick

Are you sure the machine is trying to move the carousel to the spindle? What alarms are you getting? Depending on the circumstances when the tool change is called, the machine may be trying to index to station 2 before it attempts to move over to the spindle.

Regarding how to move the atc manually, it depends on which ATC you have. The earlier models (which I believe you have) use an air cylinder that swings the Carousel in an ARC to the spindle. As Rick indicated, you should be able to remove air from the machine and get some motion trying to move it by hand. Later models used a motor and linear bearings to come straight over to the spindle.