586,991 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Questions for Tormach Users

Hi,

Tried using polls to make it easier but guess that was confusing. Results so far:
    10 use a PDB, 4 do not
    11 use an ATC, 9 do not.

I am trying to get a profile of the Tormach user and will tabulate and post the results.

Will try and make it easy:

just indicate which model you use, at home or at work and primary use.

indicate PDB or not, ATC or not.

Sample replies:

1100, home, woodworking, PDB, no ATC

1100, work, prototyping, PDB, ATC

Thanks, appreciate your help, and thanks to those that participated in the polls.

Larry

Larry,

I have no idea where the poll from your first thread was located, because you didn't include a link.

What are you trying to learn with these surveys?

Right now, I'm hesitant to answer your questions. You appear to have created your account purely for the purpose of running surveys on the Zone. That makes me think that you're after marketing data. There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to be clear about your intentions.

If I've misread your intentions, I apologize in advance.

Frederic

Frederic,

I have a very good friend with an 1100. Considering the cost of the ATC and PDB, I was curious about how many people used them and whether those who did, purchased them personally or an employer bought them. Call it curiousity. Don't have a single item to market.

Have read almost every thread on those items so I can give him an opinion. He is quite talented at fabricating things so I was basically doing the leg work for him - he is not much of a forum participant. Are they soooooo wonderful that he should consider buying them or maybe making his own?

I thought the results might be of interest to the rest of the Tormach users, i.e., if a high percentage use the PDB and love it, others might be motivated to get one. And I have no relationship with Tormach

Guess I don't understand your hesitancy - worst case scenario is you contribute to a very small "database", best case is you get a very limited profile of other users.

Thanks for expressing your concern - appreciate it.

BTW - the poll area is on the CNC Zone home page - suggested that all polls be posted there - that is why no link - being a newbie, I thought everyone knew where it was.

I understand. Thanks for replying.

I have an 1100 at home, which I use for my business. Currently I have a power drawbar with foot pedal. I consider the PDB necessary for production work, since a one minute tool change now takes seconds. The foot pedal is also a necessity, since it leaves your hands free to swap tools.

I don't have an ATC, but I plan to get one as soon as I have the money.

1100, home, metalworking, PDB, no ATC

Frederic

The poll still doesn't work. You have asked two seperate questions in the same poll which are not mutually exclusive. It is only possible to give one answer.

Power drawbar and automatic tool changer usage:
    - I use a power drawbar
    - I do not use a power drawbar
    - I use an automatic tool changer
    - I do not use an automatic tool changer

How do I answer:

I use a power draw bar and and an auto tool changer.

Phil

Thanks, Frederic - that is the kind of input I appreciate - the foot pedal makes more sense than just a push button.

Phil, sorta forgeting about the poll after your comment and am trying the approach in this thread which I hope is not as conflicting.

Should go edit the poll if I can.

1100, home, metalworking, PDB, no ATC (yet)

1100, work, no PDB or ATC, aluminum cutting.

I have a 1100 with a PDB, a foot pedal and 2 ATC's. One ATC on the end of each arm.

My machine is mostly for hobby use, so I figured for $4,200.00, I could change the tool a whole bunch of times.

I make parts for remote control race boats, cars and trucks. Yeah, I know, it will run a part better if it will change tools, but I'm supposed to be retired, so what do I have besides lots of time. OK, so instead of running 100 parts today, I'll get 90. So shoot me.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

770, hobby, no PDB, same ATC as Mr. Seebold

Model steam engines powered by air, no live steam yet. Restoring a 1972 Triumph Bonneville, going to make it into cafe style bike with CNC made top and bottom triple clamps out of aluminum billet, rear sets, clip-on handle bars and a few other odds and ends parts to finish the bike.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

drija, tbaker2500 - thanks for taking the time to reply

Steve - don't think you are the only one with that type of ATC and I fully understand why. Thanks

viola94

Gerry, thanks for the response - appreciate your taking the time

Pcnc 1100s3 PDB no foot pedal no ATC as of yet , home,metal,and happy.

carlacab, thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciate it

1100, PDB, footpedal, ATC on order.
    ATC not needed for most things, unless you do small lot production, then I think it is mandatory.
    PDB and footpedal are a necessity, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, SquibLoad, thanks for the input - appreciated

PCNC series3, use at work, ATC

I agree with most of the others that it's not really necessary to have the ATC for prototyping, but since we have the mill in a full enclosure with flood cooling it's nice not to have to open the mill for tool changes. In our case also several people use the mill and we've put a fixed set of tools in the first 6 tools of the ATC, so that everybody can always rely on that those tools are there and properly referenced.

Cheers!

No PDB, no ATC, no770 (yet).
    Hows the reliability of the toolchanger on the 1100?
    Thinking to order a 770 once the ATC is released, if they can be left unattended for production work cutting wood?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
    No PDB, no ATC, no770 (yet).
    Hows the reliability of the toolchanger on the 1100?
    Thinking to order a 770 once the ATC is released, if they can be left unattended for production work cutting wood?
    ATC has been dead nuts reliable for me. Just need to set it up carefully.

David