586,655 active members*
3,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

imachining opinions ?

Hi,
    Anybody using imachining ? we have got it on a trial basis (been about 6 weeks now) we have had mixed results,mostly disappointing compared to the hype I have to say.How has anybody else found this software ?

We've found it really good, so interested to hear details on your mixed results? What bad experiences have you had?

ok on softer materials aluminium , 316 stainless, not so good on d2 tool steel I've found the finish paths to be less than satisfactory chatter etc. also some of the time estimates are way out

are you unhappy with 2D or 3D imachining?

we've only used it for 2d. I was'nt aware it could be used on 3d work

Quote Originally Posted by Richl View Post
    we've only used it for 2d. I was'nt aware it could be used on 3d work
    think 3d imachining module costs extra money. only one vid on youtube which as you will see don't show much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPV5Ufs0emM]iMachining 3D in Toolox 44 - YouTube.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Richl View Post
    ok on softer materials aluminium , 316 stainless, not so good on d2 tool steel I've found the finish paths to be less than satisfactory chatter etc. also some of the time estimates are way out
    Are you using the slider scale to adjust the cutting conditions to match your setup? You can also take full control of speeds, feeds, cutting angle etc, using the advanced cutting conditions. (Settings>iMachining>Advanced tick box).

The times in the simulation can be adjusted to match actual machine cycle times (time for a tool change, time to calculate each block, and a general ratio adjustment). You can adjust these parameters in the post processor PRP file to achieve this. When we first used it we found the block time was throwing simulation times way out, but once we got it right, it's pretty damn close!

Hi,
    Thanks for your input.yes I tried adjusting the aggresiveness slider but it did'nt make much difference.I don't know much about editing the post files,but I had a look at the prp file and found this field :

;Timing
    time_factor = 1.0000
    block_time = 0.0000

are these values ok ?

Yep, certainly a good starting point - block_time needs to be zero, or it throws the times way out. Then it's just a case of adjusting the time_factor to match what you're getting on the machine.

eg, if the times are 10% slower on the machine than estimated by SolidCAM, then change the time_factor=1.1

What brand and spec of tools are you using? The only time we've had problems with the stability of the cut (chatter) has been due to poor quality tooling. Changed to something like a Iscar Chatter free (variable helix) or Garr equivalent, and it's happy without any changes to the tool path.

Hope that helps.

we are using decent tools , micrograin solid carbide variable helix. but I think there may be some post issues involved as well

Is the post producing the variable feed rates? that could be one issue, if you are only getting the initial feed rate, and it is not being adjusted on the fly to suit the cutting conditions!?

the feedrates are ok. its the spindle speeds that are sometimes posted incorrectly.The problem I have is that the last thing support seem to want to do is actually come in for an hour to resolve issues that are sometimes difficult to communicate by e-mail or phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_CNC View Post
    Is the post producing the variable feed rates? that could be one issue, if you are only getting the initial feed rate, and it is not being adjusted on the fly to suit the cutting conditions!?
    Remote support is something we have to accept here! The cost and time involved in flying around Australia would be hard for any business to justify on the subscription fees we pay. Having said that, the phone, email and remote desktop support we get from SolidCAM ANZ is very good!