586,089 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Prusa Mendel Build

I almost have the machine completed, but I will back track a bit.
    I bought most of this 3D printer kit from MakerFarm.

To be exact, I ordered the SAE Linear bearing kit.

This new kit has a newer extruder and I think it is probably a better design than the Wade's extruder I received. I did order an extra Wade's extruder kit as well. The original kit extruder did not come with a hobbed bolt, but the second kit did.

I also ordered the Gen 6 electronics. It is an all in one plug and play setup.

Nice for $129.95. Comes with 4 drivers another molex connector for the hot end and three connectors for the limits. Mine are optical limits. All wired up with the correct plugs. Oh and the correct USB cable.

I ordered the completed Jhead hot end. Mine was prebuilt and cost $90.00. Looks pretty simple to assemble yourself though, so I would get the kit at $68 instead.

I did order a heated bed kit as well.
    Really just a big circuit board. I neglected to order the install kit for this. I recommend ordering that.

I ordered my 5 stepper motors here at Ultimachine. I ordered them with the connectors installed. Good choice. They will plug right into the Gen 6 board. They come with about 2 foot of cable on each motor. More than plenty.

Lastly I bought a Power supply of Ebay at Hoss's recommendation.
    Good price on it as well.

That is it for the first post. I'll add more info as time allows.
    Lee

I ordered the same kit this week. Look forward to watching your progress!

must be a 3d printer bug going around that everyone is catching.

ive been thinking of going with the mendelmax, i like how it uses aluminum extrusions, much sturdier and beefier of a machine.

Just wanting to get my feet wet with it. I think the parts they can make now can be useful.
    I mainly want to do some experimenting with different types of plastics, ideas, etc. Just tinkering really. This kit seemed like it could be easily modified.
    I like those with the extrusions. Saw one guy standing on one.

I was going to wait a while longer and design and build my own, but it's all Hoss's fault that I jumped in so soon.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Just wanting to get my feet wet with it. I think the parts they can make now can be useful.
    I mainly want to do some experimenting with different types of plastics, ideas, etc. Just tinkering really. This kit seemed like it could be easily modified.
    I like those with the extrusions. Saw one guy standing on one.

I was going to wait a while longer and design and build my own, but it's all Hoss's fault that I jumped in so soon.

LOL, you have how many machines? And this is who's fault you jumped in?

Hehe, I will be looking forward to you finishing this. From the results of your olther machines this should be good. And the one you make after getting your feet wet will be the one to see.

You seem to have a real nak for getting good performance out of simple setups. I guess its like everything else, the little things, and the right combonations can really bring a project together. It will be interesting to see what you build after you get this figured out.

Keep up the good work, pretty cool little kit it seems.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Wow, I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and there lots of changes since then. Yours came with the new Z Support rods and nicer extruder.

I can't wait to see some of your prints. Mine are tuned pretty good now and coming out real nice. I pretty much went thru a pound of PLA this week in the evenings.

Richard

>I almost have the machine completed, but I will back track a bit.
    >I bought most of this 3D printer kit from MakerFarm.

These prusas are a good design and stiffer than people give them credit for, I can't complain about the finish they can provide for normal prints.
    There are some brackets on thingiverse though that add some extra bracing at the corners.
    I may make some so it'll hold up better for high speed printing I tried.
    Good luck and make some videos too.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Wow, I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and there lots of changes since then. Yours came with the new Z Support rods and nicer extruder.

I can't wait to see some of your prints. Mine are tuned pretty good now and coming out real nice. I pretty much went thru a pound of PLA this week in the evenings.

Richard

This kit pictured is newer than mine. I think I have the same kit as Hoss received. Older extruder. No Z end stops. Just the criss cross ushape clamps for the rods. Those new ones will be a nice addition though eventually. Looks like Colin @ Makerfarm adds new stuff every week. You expect to see new offerings in kits like these, but Wow! That's fast.
    Lee

During the assembly, I found that the X carriage had some belt slippage on the timing pulley. Not slippage, but skipping really. This was just when moving by hand. I had no problem on the Y axis though.
    I decided to just buy the real pulleys from Mcmaster Carr, rather than try to fine tune the printed ones I received. I ordered two of these. 57105K11
    Then drilled them out to 5mm. I also ordered 8' of belting that fit these pulleys. 7959K242

Turns out I didn't really need this. I thought the belting that came with the kit might be metric, but it was identical to the belt I received with that model number. Cool. I have read about guys wearing out the belts, so now I have some spare.

The new pulleys run nicely.

I mounted my Gen 6 to a piece of phenolic mounted up on the back side. Just used some wire ties. Seems to be a good location for this setup. The wires that came with plugs on all of it are a bit long. Especially for Z where they send another long pigtail that joins the two steppers. I will just rout this as best I can rather than cut and splice. That way when I do build a bigger machine, I may have enough wire. Won't be as pretty as some, but function over looks, right?

I'll get some pictures up later today. I still don't have the bed installed or the opto flags yet.
    Shouldn't be too long though. Still waiting on the power supply.
    Lee

For the nuts and bolts of the kit, I again bought from McMaster Carr.

Bought the 5/16-18 Stainless steel all thread. 3 of these.
    98920A030
    This is the smooth rod I ordered. 3 of these.
    8893K41
    I also ordered SS washers and nuts. The kit does come with these in zinc coated I think. I just try to buy SS when possible. Generally a better product.

Watch Hoss's videos. He points out that two of the smooth rod in the kit needs to be cut a little longer. Instead of 15.5", they should be at least 16". 16.5 won't hurt either.
    Lee

I printed 4 of the corner brackets and they look great but they didn't do too much to keep the top from moving at higher speeds. They were the 45 degree brackets that Zip Tie to the corners, there is a left hand and right hand offset bracket.

The parametric bracing using all thread would probably be the way to go.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    There are some brackets on thingiverse though that add some extra bracing at the corners.
    I may make some so it'll hold up better for high speed printing I tried.
    Good luck and make some videos too.
    Hoss

Do you have a link to those?
    Lee

I did fiddle with this a bit more yesterday. I was able to get it to home correctly and extrude. I was running this off a 24 volt supply though and got only erratic heating in the hot end. Fluctuated wildly. I turned it down to 17 VDC and it heated better. I had Pronterface set to 185 c and it would cycle between 205 and 182. I think it will all work fine once my regular 12 VDC supply gets here.
    The motors were very strong @ 24 volts, but seem the same @ 17 vdc. Should run fine @12 too.

Just a word of warning here on the kits. It was likely just an oversite, but my opto's were not completed. They did have shrink wrap for the wires there, but they were not slid forward to the opto and heated. You need to pull back the larger shrink wrap on all these connections and look to insure the wires are covered. Could be very bad on the power or the Z motor pigtail.

The Wade's extruder is giving me fits again. It is poorly designed. The hardware just does not work like you would want. You have to remove and dismantle it to check if you have a clog. Can't really be done on the machine easily. With the supplied hardware, the stepper motor is in the way.

I ordered the Greg's extr. from Colin. That should help some I think.
    I am going to get different hardware for the Wade's too. I will thread the plastic in the base to 8/32. Then screw in some long button head cap screws from the motor side into a countersunk hole. Then I will try some wing nuts. Another issue with it I think is there needs to be at least one small hole in the large gear to allow hex wrench access to the two hidden stepper screws.

Finally I think the smooth skate bearing contributes to filament slippage when loading especially. I am going to try to rough up the surface some on one and see if that has any effect.

I'll show some pictures and results when I get to that. It will be sometime next week though.
    Lee

Hi Lee,
    thanks for detailing and posting about the 3D Printer. I request you to add more pictures and videos as you going on to the end.
    Regards
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

The ones I printed looked good and fit fine, but I can't say they did much good: Mendel Frame Brace by ECsuyu - Thingiverse

I bet one like this would help a lot but I'm not sure I'm going to mess with it right now: Full crossbracing for Prusa simplified Mendel by Lanthan - Thingiverse

RIchard

Do you have a link to those?

Wow, and I'm using the stock Wade's Extruder with a Mark Iv J-Head and I think it's awesome. No plugs, no jams, no slippage. I love it.

As a matter of fact, I don't do anything but reverse it while it's hot to remove the filament then feed new stuff in without taking anything apart.

I do see you point about the two items though, I can see the hobbed bolt unless you take it apart and it's not easy because even though the nuts are captured they will fall out and it's hard to put them back in without sliding the stepper back.

The extruder's stepper and mount hit the Z axis carriage. Now it's built where you can cock it to one side or the other but that kills you Z height.

I do like the Gregg's version of it but I haven't printed it yet. I figure it's better to do in ABS than PLA and I just got my ABS.

Keep up the good work on your build and like Khalid said, lots of pictures.

Richard

The Wade's extruder is giving me fits again. It is poorly designed. The hardware just does not work like you would want. You have to remove and dismantle it to check if you have a clog. Can't really be done on the machine easily. With the supplied hardware, the stepper motor is in the way.

I ordered the Greg's extr. from Colin. That should help some I think.
    I am going to get different hardware for the Wade's too. I will thread the plastic in the base to 8/32. Then screw in some long button head cap screws from the motor side into a countersunk hole. Then I will try some wing nuts. Another issue with it I think is there needs to be at least one small hole in the large gear to allow hex wrench access to the two hidden stepper screws.

Finally I think the smooth skate bearing contributes to filament slippage when loading especially. I am going to try to rough up the surface some on one and see if that has any effect.

I'll show some pictures and results when I get to that. It will be sometime next week though.

I think the magic lies in the hobing. My bolt appears to be hobed well, but along with the other shortcomings on the Wade's, it just isn't reliable enough.
    I had no trouble extruding the 2' section of material I had in there for testing. Only when I went to reload did the problem arise. I'm sure the Greg's will fix it, but I want to do the mod's to the Wade's to help others that may find it difficult to use.

I am also looking into have a remote extruder that feeds through Teflon tube. That should make working on them a little easier as well. It would make for more waste when changing colors or types of plastic, but if it makes life easier, I think it might be worth it.
    Hoss's thread has some links to those.

I am adding a couple of shots of my machine so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prusa front.jpg   Gen 6.jpg  
    Lee

Here are a few images to show how I modded the Wade's extruder. Nothing much really. I did have some 6-32 x 2" flat head screws on hand, so used those rather than tapping the body for 8-32. Used nuts to secure them to the bodey and then just counter sunk the pinch roller holder for the nuts in the corners.
    Now I can easily use even the stronger springs that came with the kit with no trouble. I have some wing nuts coming and might have enough room to use those on this. At least at the top side.

I also roughed up the center of the pinch roller to help add some friction to that side. I expect this one to work well now and be much more user friendly.

There was no room at the edge of the gear to drill a hole to access the two inside motor screws. I just snug them up good and force the motor over to engage the gears. Then I cinch the remaining two motor screws well. Mu flag for my optical limits bolts into the lower motor slot, so didn't need to drill an extra hole and it has some adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 632.jpg   rough.jpg   springs.jpg  
    Lee

Thought I would share a very useful tool kit for building these machines.
    This little screw driver kit from HF with a flexible extension is great for these.
    It can get around to all the screws o this thing where big hands have a hard time.
    My kit is a little newer than the one pictured and has a few more items in it. I paid $5 something in the store for it.
    If you can find a kit like this, by all means, jump on it.
    I can change out the extruder in no time now.

Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece

Lee

A little more info on this and a few pictures.

I installed my Greg's open extruder and it works much better than the Wade's even after the updates I did on it. Clearly a better design for an extruder.

I ordered some Pet G rod from Mcmaster to do some testing with. This is 1/8" stuff and just does feed into the extruder correctly. Anything bigger would not work. I heated it to 200 C to start with. Well, it was good to start with, but then About 30 layers in, it started messing up and not sticking. Come to find out, it doesn't stick well to itself.
    I could just about unravel the entire print like pulling a string on an old sweater. Definitely not what we are looking for. It did print nice and clear though without having to be dried. It should be dries though similar to Polycarbonate, but doesn't require such a long drying cycle. I will still try some other temps to see if it does any better, but so far, PET G is a fail.
    Too bad. It was 19 cents a foot. Not a bad price. Terrible when it doesn't work though.

Here are just a few of the testing blocks and some of the parts I have done so far. All of these are PLA. I will install my heated bed tonight and start making some ABS parts.
    I have designed a few parts in Turbocad so far. Bed leveling knobs and a couple other parts. I know they have them on Thingyverse already, but wanted to see what steps I needed to do nice STL's in TC.

I kept forgetting to convert it to metric. That is a deal breaker.
    Gotta convert..... Gotta convert....

Anyway, here are a few parts.
    I'll have more pictures of the machine soon.
    Oh and those two black cubes in the foreground came out perfect dimensionally a look good print wise. Especially for pla without a heated bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parts.jpg   parts 2.jpg   good cubes.jpg  
    Lee

Page 1 of 2 12