587,003 active members*
2,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Does anyone refurbish torch leads??

We have an HPR 260 at our bridge fabrication shop. The torch leads (coolant, cut gas, plasma vent, pilot arc conductor) have not been replaced since we bought the machine new, about 6 years ago. This machine is used HEAVILY. Friday the leads on the torch end (going into the metal torch sleeve) failed. Two cut gas lines broken or with holes worn, and coolant supply with a large hole in it. Some of the gas line looked charred, but no evidence of arcing on the metal sleeve. The pilot arc conductor is intact and the insulating tube around it looks fine. We have ordered another lead (25') from Hypertherm (part No. 128784), as well as a Quick-disconnect receptacle which had badly worn threads on the torch end (part No. 220163).

All said, and I hope Jim Colt is listening, does anyone refurbish these leads? The 25' leads are almost 3' longer than needed and all the wear seems to be from the tubes rubbing the metal sleeve as the THC moves up and down. Maybe alittle bit of high temp stress on the gas hoses. Is it advisable to try to refurbish these and save them for back ups? Its only the last 6 inches or so that's been damaged.

One time I and two others had to replace the broken pilot arc conductor in a 30ft machine torch, it was a royal PITA, the hard part is pulling the heavy braid shield off and replacing it, it was a first for us and took us the better part of a day!.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I am not aware of anyone refurbishing torch leads. The leads used with the HPR260 have a variety of water cooled cables, hoses as well as electrical connections. They deliver the DC power (400 volts at up to 260 Amps) as well as the high frequency starting current (over 15Kvolts) an deliver the preflow, cutflow and postflow gas mixes to the torch. A couple of the short hoses from the valve cluster have a critical length and ID that contribute to consumable life by creating a perfectly timed gas rampdown curve at the end of each cut cycle.

Torch leads are subject to a lot of movement...and are under UV light conditions as well as high temperatures and smok/fumes from the plasma system. Generally....after a few years of use they should be replaced in order to minimize future downtime.

I am sure that repairs could be made....however the cost of the repairs (labor and parts) may exceed the cost of a new set of leads.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller47591 View Post
    We have an HPR 260 at our bridge fabrication shop. The torch leads (coolant, cut gas, plasma vent, pilot arc conductor) have not been replaced since we bought the machine new, about 6 years ago. This machine is used HEAVILY. Friday the leads on the torch end (going into the metal torch sleeve) failed. Two cut gas lines broken or with holes worn, and coolant supply with a large hole in it. Some of the gas line looked charred, but no evidence of arcing on the metal sleeve. The pilot arc conductor is intact and the insulating tube around it looks fine. We have ordered another lead (25') from Hypertherm (part No. 128784), as well as a Quick-disconnect receptacle which had badly worn threads on the torch end (part No. 220163).

All said, and I hope Jim Colt is listening, does anyone refurbish these leads? The 25' leads are almost 3' longer than needed and all the wear seems to be from the tubes rubbing the metal sleeve as the THC moves up and down. Maybe alittle bit of high temp stress on the gas hoses. Is it advisable to try to refurbish these and save them for back ups? Its only the last 6 inches or so that's been damaged.

Thanks Jim. You've always been a great source of info with these plasma systems. We took part in several of your webinars before I ever even knew you were a member of the zone.

I will probably just toss the old leads when the new come in. I never heard what the quote was on the new ones were. I ordered them and then my forman (i'm night shift maintenance tech) double checked with me because the purchasing office was whining. It's hard to strike a balance between good maintenance and overly "thrifty" purchasing tactics. But that's the cost of cutting bridge steel, I assume.

I welcome any suggestions you might have about working on this HPR 260. We have 2 units -- for a master and a slave torch. I do most of the work on them, and before me they called ALLTRA (out of Oklahoma i believe) when they had any problems with plasma or the CNC control (Burny 10 LCD Plus).

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller47591 View Post
    I will probably just toss the old leads when the new come in. I never heard what the quote was on the new ones were. .
    When you have the time, You might want to take a look at refurbishing like we did, if you manage it, at least you will have a spare set?
    It's not rocket science, just time consuming.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yeah Al, I suppose I could give it a try. All of the hose leads are staggered, so I'd need to be pretty careful measuring. All of the fittings fall in a different place so it can all fit in the torch sleeve. Most of them are crimped on. I wonder if compression or barbed fittings would work. I worry about restricting cut gas flow with a ferel type fitting. We have no hose crimping tools in the shop. Just compression fittings, hose clamps, and a Band IT. It would be nice to save as a back up. We're down to just one torch and in the middle of a bunch of parts for a huge Ohio DOT job. One torch just aint enough for parts plates that are 10' wide and 70' or more long.

Let me know if you've got any advice on fittings and such. Thanks