586,721 active members*
3,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sumtak Encoder

We have a roughly 20 year old Daito automatic saw, which is still a good saw. Anyway, we were having problems with our length of cuts and getting the lengths set correctly. I suspected a problem with the encoder, so I decided to open it up to see if I could find a problem. The encoder was corroded inside and it appeared that moisture had cause problems inside the encoder. I tried to clean the encoder and in the process evidently I finishing destroying the device. When I put it back on the machine the index shuttle would not locate but would only travel all the way back on the slide. So, I ordered a new replacement from Daito. The old encoder was a Sumtak LBJ-080-1000. They shipped me a new Sumtak/Heidenhain encoder IRS330-1000 along with 2 - 1 kohm resistors and a wiring diagram for the new encoder. I installed the new encoder as shown on the diagram and the index shuttle still does not locate. It appears that the machine is not reading anything from the encoder. Daito has suggested that they could ship me another encoder from Japan. I wanted to run this problem by you guys first to see if anyone had encountered such a problem. Is it common for a new encoder to be faulty? Are we overlooking anything that could be causing the problem? Any suggestions/advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary

It sounds like you may have been shipped a single ended open collector encoder?
    How many leads does the encoder have?
    If it is just single ended, A & B, you may have to reverse them to phase the encoder properly, just a long shot.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The encoder actually has 8 leads but we are only using 4. The white wire is connected to P5 which I understand to be 5 VDC power. Black connects to G. Red connects to A and Green connects to B. We are not using Pink, Blue, Orange, and Yellow. They shipped 2 resistors with the new encoder and the resistors are connected with one from P5 to A, and the other from G to B. The old encoder had 8 leads as well and only used 4 but without resistors.
    Thank you for your help.

Gary

It appears the colours you used are about right, for either type, I have used these in the past.
    http://www.electromate.com/db_support/downloads/LBK.pdf
    Which looks about the same type you have?
    You could swap the A & B just to test for correct phasing, You will not affect the encoder swapping these two.
    Also if you have a differential 8 wire encoder I would try with no resistors connected.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by gearmachinist View Post
    ........They shipped 2 resistors with the new encoder and the resistors are connected with one from P5 to A, and the other from G to B. ....Gary
    Gary, this makes no sense; as AL said, it sounds like the new replacement encoder may be open collector instead of line drive output like old one. to use it, you need to put BOTH resistors from P5 to the output channel; so try changing your G to B to P5 to B instead

Can't help you with the encoder, but if you ever get a CPU error, hit me up. Daito was 1200 for a new board, I fixed them for about 6 bucks in parts from digi key, and they last forever.

One of the best saws made IMO btw.

WOW! You guys are great. I changed the wiring so that a resistor is between P5 and A, and P5 and B and the saw works perfectly. Daito was not offering any solutions and Sumtak/Heidenhain would not offer any help since the encoder is an OEM part. They said I needed to go back to Daito. Daito wanted to ship me a new encoder from Japan to give it a try.
    Anyway, thanks for your help with this problem. How can I repay you gentlemen for your help?

Thank you,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gearmachinist View Post
    Anyway, thanks for your help with this problem. How can I repay you gentlemen for your help?

Thank you,

Gary
    You can always click on the beer symbol! :cheers:
    Al.

Albert E.

we ALL like beer.... ditto daito