Let me start off and say that I’m not a machinist by trade, I worked at a very large machine shop for about 4 years part time. During that time I ran a lot of different machines in the machine and sheet metal side of the shop but never set up any programs or jobs, I was always assisted in this task. I have gotten very interested in the machining of parts; it has helped me in my current career. I’m an Auto Technician by trade and been in the field for more than 30 years. I have since acquired an older Bridgeport mill with a Southwestern Industries ProtoTRAX plus controller that I have learned to operate and program very simple parts. It has worked very well and has been operating flawlessly. The problem is that it has taken me too long to machine complex parts that I need for all of my projects.

I had been doing some research on the internet and a lot of CNC forums, I had for found that it would be much easier to acquire a CAD/CAM program and it could do a lot of work for me and make my life easier enabling me to make the needed items. I found that Dolphin caters to the Hobbyist, so I purchased Dolphin Cad/Cam about 10 months ago. I understand the CAD and CAM side of the program; I have written quiet of few drawings to get to know the software. I have a good friend that is a programmer and he has looked at it and has agreed it has some nice features. The problem is that I have not made one part with this software; I cannot get it to send a correct post to my controller. It errors out ever time or accepts the program and then stops in error. Once it errors out I can’t do anything until error is corrected. I try to make changes to program, but it makes it worst.

I have been working with Rodney and sent him all of the requested files that he needed. One time he even remotely went on to my computer and separated the correct files and he had me sent them to him. I have given him a name at Southwestern Industries about whom to talk to about this older controller. We are working with the sample program that Southwestern Industries uses, I have written the program to the controller and then sent it over to Dolphin CAD/CAM to show the folks at Dolphin what the program needs to look like.

The last time Rodney had me try a post process was around the first of February and I have sent him 2 emails since then about the post. At that time I had made sure he has all of the manuals that I have, the user guide and programming guide. All of the post processes that they have supplied me with have not at all looked anything like what I get from my controller. It is a very simple program. The response time that I receive e-mail’s back is getting longer and longer and not a quick response.

One of the reasons why I purchased Dolphin was the incredible support especially to the hobbyist; so far I’m not real impressed. I’m not here to bash Dolphin; I’m here to seek some advice and help from others. They may have great customer service, but it has not helped me in any way, I’m still not using my Bridgeport and I’m still unable to use the software to its fullest. I think by now that they should have come up with a post that works on my machine or some type of solution. The last couple of times they are emailed me that said that they would be in touch. I have tried to use the post for MX2 and MX3 but it errors every time. Before I purchased the software I had inquired about the correct posts and I was assured that the post would work with my ProtoTRAX Plus controller. I don't think that is too much to ask, I just want my software to work corectly and be able to use what I purchased.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark