586,145 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Can a Tormach 1100 make Crank and Camshafts?

Can a Tormach 1100 make Crank and Camshafts?

Currently I am using a machine shop to manufacture my very short run crankshafts and camshafts for 4cyl turbo race engines along with some suspension components. I can't say that I am very happy with the level of service and or turn-around times even trying a few different local shops. I am considering either purchasing a used machine or possibly going the T1100 route. My question for actual users, as opposed to the Tormach sales force, is it realistic to think that the T1100 can turn out engine parts with such precision? Has anyone made any type of engine parts on their T1100?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

You could perform the first op with a mill but you would need to finish with heat treatment and a cylinder grinder.

Precision is going to be in the 0.001" area, as per most mills, so suspension parts should be OK.

Phil

Making parts

Kinetic,

At the risk of being rude or assuming too much, a comment I hope will be taken as well-meant and helpful.

I agree with Philbur. An experienced machinist will recognize the need for other operations (e.g., hardening and grinding) in a case such as you describe.

Parts come with two components. One is the physical structure of the part; the other is the accumulated skill and knowledge of the maker -hard to see, but built-in to everything that comes out of our shops. It is easy to underestimate that skill/knowledge component (our non-machinist friends do that for us, daily).

I note you have joined us recently, and your post -to my mind- suggests that you may be relatively new to machining while having significant mechanical skills in other areas. IF that's so, I would suggest you proceed very deliberately and carefully, and think very hard about the task you're considering before buying a mill. The Tormach could help make the parts; do you have the background and skills, the time, and the rest of the equipment, the entire job requires? Or is there a (possibly significant) learning curve to climb?

There's no doubt that one can learn; that's part of the fun of this activity. But when one is running a business a long learning curve or startup problems can be disastrous, and the capital risk of even a relatively low cost tool like the Tormach is significant...and can be fatal.

I'd rephrase your question. Not "Can it?" but "Should you?" Don't let a frustrating supplier problem drive you to a bad business choice. Going from "buy" to "make" is not a small or simple decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    Currently I am using a machine shop to manufacture my very short run crankshafts and camshafts for 4cyl turbo race engines along with some suspension components. I can't say that I am very happy with the level of service and or turn-around times even trying a few different local shops. I am considering either purchasing a used machine or possibly going the T1100 route. My question for actual users, as opposed to the Tormach sales force, is it realistic to think that the T1100 can turn out engine parts with such precision? Has anyone made any type of engine parts on their T1100?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    I am willing to be a little more direct with the best of intentions.

The answer is no.

You need a good lathe with a grinder and a good operator to put out parts like this. The PCNC 1100 is the wrong tool for camshafts.