586,934 active members*
2,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Brackets vs Parentheses in Macros or Subprograms

Brackets vs Parentheses in Macros or Subprograms

I am new to programming using macros (used Mastercam until now) and am having to manually type my programs into my 3016L. In the book I just read to learn macros they always used brackets[] when doing math formulas. This makes sense seeing as how paretheses() are used to make comments. However the keyboard on the fadal does not have brackets. Can anyone help me here? I think I am to use the parentheses in my math formulas as well but am not sure. Please help

this "book you just read" was it the Fadal Manual?

Check out the Fadal manual i think you use () instead of the fanuc/yasnak []

comments on the fadal just get typed in after the ;

ex:

G01 x12.345 f40. ; milling top surface
    y-2.345 ;
    x-2.0 ;
    M00;
    ; FLIP PART OVER

G0 X3.45 ;

The book I read was "Fanuc CNC Custom Macros". I purchased this machine used and therefore I do not have the manuals. But I do know that this machine can be ran in Fanuc format so I assumed I could write programs with Fanuc syntax.

Seeing as how I "learned" to program using Mastercam and it posted all my programs, it has never used the semicolon and all comments were in parentheses. What is the effect of not using semicolon?

I have also encountered a new problem where I am trying to utilize variables and when I use a variable to define an X value it will not accept the line of code. For example

#101=2.0
    G0 G90 X#101

When I try to enter in the "X#101" it alarms saying "NO VALUE FOR WORD"

Any ideas?

You can find and download the manuals at the following link. MAG - The Global Machine Tool Manufacturer: Fadal Manuals

get the manuals like Grip sugested.

It sounds like you have the theroy correct but Fadal and "Fanuc/Yasnak" are totally different animals.

With the books you should be able to pick up the Fadal way or as you mentioned set the machine up to run in Fanuc mode.

Macros use parenthesis () as mathmatical function ONLY and NOT to make comments. An apostrophe is used to separate a comment from commands. Brackets are also a mathmatical function but are rarely used in the Fadal control. In stead of using a complex formula it is recommended to use multiple formulas as the complex single formula takes longer to process than the multiple ones.

Neal