586,181 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Complete Stepper Motor and Driver Kits - List and Reviews
Page 1 of 2 12

Complete Stepper Motor and Driver Kits - List and Reviews

I would like to compile a list of vendors that offer a "Plug and Play" stepper motor and controller kit. I've been shopping around and I figure I can’t be the only one searching for this information. If this thread already exists somewhere else please let me know!

If you have experience with any of these kits PLEASE add a review or link to where there is some discussion. If you have purchased a kit from a vendor that does not appear on this list please post about it and I will add it to this list.

CNC Router Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I purchased the CNCRouterParts 4 Axis kit about 2 years ago for my 8020 2'x4' CNC machine, and it was easy to put together (the motors having connectors to plug directly into the G540) and has performed perfectly for 2 years. I've contacted Ahren for support for other items (never needed it for the steppers/controller) and his responses have been very quick, friendly, and helpful.
    Thanks,
    Glen
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    I purchased the 3 motor kit from CNCRouterParts.com about 18 months ago. I got the larger power supply for no good reason. Worked just fine. I did replace the cables because I wanted to put the resisters closer to the stepper motors. My version of the G540 made the motors run hot unless the resisters were close to the motor. I understand that the current version of the G540 allow the motors to run cooler no matter where the resister is placed.

Keling INC

Xylotex

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Xylotex... as close to plug and play as you're possibly going to get. Affordable. Good performance considering the price. If you're smart about leadscrew choice, you won't have the resonance issues that some have faced. Even then, making your own mechanical dampers can alleviate them. Fast delivery. Never used online support because never had a problem. Rapids on x gantry over 200ipm, 400ipm on y with 8-start leadscrews...

Probotix

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    Ive bought 2 3axis kits from Probotix. (2 different machines)

Fantastic product and amazing support. These guys really love hobby cnc and what they do. Highly recommend them.

Homann Desgns

Build Your CNC

Longs Motor

Wantai Motor

Fine Line Automation

ProCut CNC

Motion Control Products

Rhonmac-CNC

Stepperworld

Automation Technology

CW Motor

HobbyCNC

Probotix ProboStep kits

Ive bought 2 3axis kits from Probotix. (2 different machines)

Fantastic product and amazing support. These guys really love hobby cnc and what they do. Highly recommend them.

I purchased the CNCRouterParts 4 Axis kit about 2 years ago for my 8020 2'x4' CNC machine, and it was easy to put together (the motors having connectors to plug directly into the G540) and has performed perfectly for 2 years. I've contacted Ahren for support for other items (never needed it for the steppers/controller) and his responses have been very quick, friendly, and helpful.
    Thanks,
    Glen

Hi there not sure if you’re looking for a “plug and play” solution for yourself or simply creating a thread to compile feedback and create a base as a user friendly access point for us to compare products, you might just clear that up please.......... as each and every one of us who have purchased "kits" have done so for different reasons some from previous advice (not fully understanding the electronic aspect and I say this from my own experience as I myself am learning every hour) and some from research and bought to output specific torque ranges for diferent stock machining, and so someone may just get more confused......

Me I used Keling Stepper motors and Keling Digital Stepper drivers I've only recently finished my own build but I can highly recomend that combination mind you I used CNC4PC Breakout Boards but again Keling also supply them, if you want here's my complete electronics hardware and software setup including all the respective hardware links in post 6 of the thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...n_using-6.html happy reading
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Hi there not sure if you’re looking for a “plug and play” solution for yourself or simply creating a thread to compile feedback and create a base as a user friendly access point for us to compare products, you might just clear that up please.......... as each and every one of us who have purchased "kits" have done so for different reasons some from previous advice (not fully understanding the electronic aspect and I say this from my own experience as I myself am learning every hour) and some from research and bought to output specific torque ranges for diferent stock machining, and so someone may just get more confused......

Me I used Keling Stepper motors and Keling Digital Stepper drivers I've only recently finished my own build but I can highly recomend that combination mind you I used CNC4PC Breakout Boards but again Keling also supply them, if you want here's my complete electronics hardware and software setup including all the respective hardware links in post 6 of the thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...n_using-6.html happy reading
    My bad. I should have cleared that up. Yes I'm looking for Plug and Play kits to compile a list and have a little bit of feedback in one central location.

enforcer, to expand MW's question. Do you have any experience machining? Manual or CNC? Not trying to offend just curious. I personally have run a Hobby Cnc Pro board and their recommended steppers (I did build the board from a kit so plug and play might not be you would call it). I have run G540's with various power supplies, probotix and PMDX boards. All worked great and have great custommer service. None of them worked well UNTIL I understood the settings and configuration issues. That is an ongoing process. Fortunately for me it is a hobby and I can get sidetracked with another project and the family still eats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    enforcer, to expand MW's question. Do you have any experience machining? Manual or CNC? Not trying to offend just curious. I personally have run a Hobby Cnc Pro board and their recommended steppers (I did build the board from a kit so plug and play might not be you would call it). I have run G540's with various power supplies, probotix and PMDX boards. All worked great and have great custommer service. None of them worked well UNTIL I understood the settings and configuration issues. That is an ongoing process. Fortunately for me it is a hobby and I can get sidetracked with another project and the family still eats.
    NP. To answer your question... no. I've more experience with automation products and none with actual machining. CNC machines are a new venture for me. I began creating this list in a spreadsheet as a starting point for myself as I spec out and research parts. Some of these kits are fantastic based on what ive read on the forums. Others are garbage. I decided to create this as a way to centralize my research and provide it to others who are researching what is available out there as far as turnkey, plug and play kits. In the end I may decide to build a motor, driver and power supply configuration from scratch.... but I would have come to that decision quicker if I was able to find and research what kits are available.

I purchased the 3 motor kit from CNCRouterParts.com about 18 months ago. I got the larger power supply for no good reason. Worked just fine. I did replace the cables because I wanted to put the resisters closer to the stepper motors. My version of the G540 made the motors run hot unless the resisters were close to the motor. I understand that the current version of the G540 allow the motors to run cooler no matter where the resister is placed.

You forgot these two;

LiniStepper and SLAmStepper kits;
    PIC Linear Stepper Motor Controller
    SLAm Stepper Motor Controller, Allegro SLA7062M, Unipolar

They have a fair following on this forum and the PIClist boss (James) provides tech support here.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    You forgot these two;

They have a fair following on this forum and the PIClist boss (James) provides tech support here.
    This wasn't really what i was looking for since neither of them include motors and a power supply.

Sorry, I misunderstood your wording, I thought you were doing a "complete list" of "stepper driver kits".

Quote Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
    ..........I decided to create this as a way to centralize my research and provide it to others who are researching what is available out there as far as turnkey, plug and play kits.......
    Hello again enforcer it's a good idea what your trying to do here but unfortunately the electronics hardware configuration is not really as simple as "plug and play" and can get very confusing for a first timer (speaking from experience here) and this is a long post took awhile to type it too and hopefully this will give a better understanding for anyone reading this thread too.

And I don't ‘mean or want’ to add to an already confused kinda thread as a one fix solution for all is really not a viable option as one suppliers product may suit one person’s application machining requirements and not the next but mated with a differing electronics build/setup may also be the best product too.....!

bear with me here and once you get your head around the points listed below things may seem a little easier and before choosing any individual electronic product as a rule of thumb work backwards:

1. work out the requirements or cutting needs, i.e. material or stock to be machined (Steel, Aluminium, castings, plastic etc..), and the time spent cutting or the feasible machining time i.e. “speeds and feeds”

2. then this will dictate the torque output requirements of the axis motors i.e. stepper or server motors (and this is NOT to be confused with SPINDLE motor HP output)

3. this will then dictate the power requirements to drive each individual axis motor i.e. taking for example in my case my chosen X,YandZ axis motors are stepper motors and for my steppers to output their respective holding torque based on my motor wiring configuration in the manufacturers specs I needed Stepper Drivers to output over 6amps ( as a loss of Amperage from the drivers to the motors will deliver a loss of holding torque too)

4. here’s where someone can get confused too as there are several wiring configurations for Stepper Motors to the Stepper Drivers too i.e. Bipolar Series, Bipolar Parallel and Unipolar, but depending on the holding torque required will dictate the wiring configuration too

5. then the next stage once the dirvers have been selected will then dictate the power supplies required i.e. 48v, 72v, 12 v etc…

6. now what controller platform will be used to control the CNC machine does the Host PC have a Parallel Port or only a USB port as this will dictate if a USB Motion Controller is required

7. what additional hardware requirements will be sought to use in the builds i.e. MPG’s, Spindle control, additional axis 4th or 5th and this will also dictate what breakout boards are required

8. what OS (Operating System) does the host PC run Mac Windows etc?

I hope I haven't confused any one any more hear but if your new to this whole electronics thingy it's just a new jargon to learn :idea:and once learned will never be forgotton........
    Eoin

You forgot these two;

Thanks for the links RomanLini:cheers:
    Eoin

You might want to add:
    http://www.candcnc.com/
    I have been using their servo package for over 5 years on a plasma cutter, averaging 20-30 hours a week cutting time. The breakout board was upgraded to a newer version (MP3000) to take advantage of the newer features. The system has been working great, and if you need help, it's only a phone call to Texas.
    Larry

I had the keling 4 Axis kit about 2 years ago for my 3'x4' CNC router, and it was easy to put together and has performed perfectly for 2 years. ( Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver,CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor, Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor Driver, CNC Router, Stepper Motor Power Supply, Stepper Motor Kit, DC Servo Motor)

Angry Motor links were NOT posted by me

hey there again who put the links into my last post as just browsing the forum thread I see that motors is underlined and linked to an ebay site and I did NOT create any links in my post as I was only giving unbiased info......
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    hey there again who put the links into my last post as just browsing the forum thread I see that motors is underlined and linked to an ebay site and I did NOT create any links in my post as I was only giving unbiased info......

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnczon...ml#post1069139

Unhappy

Hi there Paul and sorry for my misunderstanding on my part and yup I agree one hundred percent in any revenue generating protocol you use too...!

but even looking at your link.....to disable skimlinks it only gives a member an option to disable skimlinks as they're browsing but not to disable skimlinks in their respective posts so what you're suggesting is the skimlinks are only switched off while they browse but advertisers can manipulate a post automatically which Will confuse a thread as is shown in my previous post as to explain my point I refrained from any supplier references to give as unbiased an opinion as possible but still with your skim links an EBay suppliers product is linked to my post??????
    Eoin

What's a skimlinks and why did it change a word in your post?

I don't think it works on my old browser as I can't see what you are talking about?

What's a skimlinks and why did it change a word in your post?

I don't think it works on my old browser as I can't see what you are talking about?
    In post 12 below the word motor is underlined and linked to an ebay suppliers link and I didn't generate the link….
    But as Paul says this web advertiser’s skimlinks website links automatically what they think is the most suitable manufacturer to link to a particular word within a post, you know that’s fine and all as it generates revenue for Paul to run the web forum and who am I to state otherwise..... my only concern is that a thread can/will get confused if an automated link is inserted to a product that’s not even being discussed by a member…!
    Eoin

Page 1 of 2 12