587,024 active members*
4,046 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > HF X2 Conversion (Plug & Play)

HF X2 Conversion (Plug & Play)

So after successfully building a Zen Toolworks 12x12 Machine (and learning a ton about CNC by reading various tutorials and these forums)

Zen Toolworks: Zen Toolworks CNC 12x12 Complete Package

I decided to take the next step and build a more robust machine. I opted for the HF 44991. This is my list of parts for the lazy mans build. Yes they cost a bit more (coming already rigged); But I am unsure how long it would take me to correctly fabricate and wire up the system if I had tried to learn all the processes myself. (money value of time :cheers

X2 Mill (after 25% off coupon) $450
    CNC Fusion X2 kit #2 $579
    Deepgroove G540 kit w/3motors $535
    One 380 OZ motor for Z axis $53
    Belt drive upgrade $110
    Mach 3 (already had)

Links:
    Mini Mill - 2 Speed Mini Milling Machine
    CNC Fusion
    Deepgroove1 Gecko control box
    https://www.finelineautomation.com/store/show/EL-0001
    Home

Boom, watched a few videos on the CNC Fusion kit install, particularly these from Youtube user Quadrant2005:

quadrant2005's Channel - YouTube

also some of these on general CNC items from CNC Zone veteran, Hoss
    hossmachine's Channel - YouTube

Just figured I would compile this list if others were feeling a bit overwhelmed by the electrical and hardware fabrication requirements of a pure DIY project. This compiled system was basically plug and play...

Now I am happily making chips... best of luck guys...

-Scott

After putting many hours of work into my own X2 CNC conversion, I am coming to the realization that I am no where near done and I am considering the CNC Fusion kit. How did yours work out? I have read many horrors stories about things not lining up and having to do extensive mods to the stock machine to get the kit installed. Did you run into any of this? The cost of the kit is a good chunk of cash for me and I don't want to get extreme buyer's remorse.

Thanks for any input!
    Jason
    RPC Electronics, LLC - www.rpc-electronics.com

The install of the CNC Fusion kit was flawless. It was actually a lot easier than I had imagined it would be...

Hey, I know this is old, but I have one more question. When I bought my Gecko 540 driver, I also picked up three of the 280oz NMEA 23 steppers. I am hoping one will be enough for the Z, but I noticed you picked up a 380oz stepper. What is the current rating on that 380oz? I am holding off buying anything bigger because the G540 claims to be good only for 3.5A per axis. All of the 380 and up steppers claim to need at least a couple more amps of current and I don't want to risk burning out a channel on the G540.

Did you end up buying a different driver for the Z axis?

Thanks!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by RPCElectronics View Post
    Hey, I know this is old, but I have one more question. When I bought my Gecko 540 driver, I also picked up three of the 280oz NMEA 23 steppers. I am hoping one will be enough for the Z, but I noticed you picked up a 380oz stepper. What is the current rating on that 380oz? I am holding off buying anything bigger because the G540 claims to be good only for 3.5A per axis. All of the 380 and up steppers claim to need at least a couple more amps of current and I don't want to risk burning out a channel on the G540.

Did you end up buying a different driver for the Z axis?

Thanks!
    I run 270oz-in steppers on all three axis of my X2. They have no problems drilling mild steel and I have never stalled the Z axis.
    Basically I can't see why people are installing 380's, there is no need. You get around 250kg of stall force with 270's.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Awesome! That's good to know. I'm getting really close to dropping the cash on the CNC Fusion kit and I just want to make sure I'm not going down a dark path where I am going to end up having to re-do all of my electronics.

Thanks!
    Jason