586,399 active members*
3,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > What the heck do I do with this

Unhappy What the heck do I do with this

I hired a guy to make a drawing for me. I wanted a set of paper drawings or equivalent. What he sent me was a Autocad 3d solid model. How do I get my dimensions out of this model? Is there an easy way to get the part from a solid model to a blueprint? I am just about clueless with cad.
    Pat

Is there an easy way to get the part from a solid model to a blueprint?
    Not if you don't know what you're doing. It's not easy if you know what you're doing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So where do I go to get this done?

OK, we have established that it is difficult to do. Are there places that convert this?:

I don't mean to sound like a butt head. It sounds more like you asked him to design a part for you since you don't already know the dimensions and more particularly the tolerances.

I wanted a set of paper drawings or equivalent.
    The "equivalent" part is where you got screwed. You should have asked for a fully dimensioned drawing of the part for manufacture with tolerances, after all, you are the one paying for it. Maybe you didn't want to pay extra for the drawings or just didn't understand the process? Why don't you just have him provide you with what you need, since he already designed it? My guess that the water is already under the bridge for that to happen.:drowning:

So now all you have is a pretty picture! Just consider it a lesson learned!!

You could post the drawing. You might get lucky and someone will help you out with it. Who knows?

Question

If it not too complicated.

If it isn't too outrageous...

One part or an assembly? Output in .dwg or .pdf? If it isn't a dozen hours worth of work and 10 pages of drawings I could maybe give it a try for you in my spare time. I'd have to see what you have & need to judge what I'd be getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by woodr004 View Post
    I hired a guy to make a drawing for me. I wanted a set of paper drawings or equivalent. What he sent me was a Autocad 3d solid model. How do I get my dimensions out of this model? Is there an easy way to get the part from a solid model to a blueprint? I am just about clueless with cad.
    Pat
    hei'ya woodr004, "what the heck!", sounds right for here, post the file and I'm sure the guru's 'n solid bakgrounders will dig you out, ignore what doesn't fit your needs( a polite decline keeps lines of communication open), step by step clear requests will certainly get you there :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro: kelef

Quote Originally Posted by woodr004 View Post
    Pat
    The solid model has all the information in it... Why do "you" need blueprints? Anybody that needs to do something with the model should be able to get what they need from the model? It is just a suggestion...

Yep, its easy to get dimensions off of a solid model, im not sure whats so hard about it, if you have a solid model file you can send the model file to any shop and they can use it, if the shop says they cant do anything with a solid model drawing i wouldnt want that shop doing any work for me anyway since they are obviously noobies.....

But get a written quotation, and don't let 'em charge you for that step.
    What are you making?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    The solid model has all the information in it... Why do "you" need blueprints? Anybody that needs to do something with the model should be able to get what they need from the model? It is just a suggestion...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjames1981 View Post
    Yep, its easy to get dimensions off of a solid model, im not sure whats so hard about it, if you have a solid model file you can send the model file to any shop and they can use it, if the shop says they cant do anything with a solid model drawing i wouldnt want that shop doing any work for me anyway since they are obviously noobies.....
    Solid models typically do not include tolerances or thread information or finish or material call outs. These are only included in a proper drawing file. Any machinist that does not know this would never work for me.

Are you sure it isn't there. Solid modeling software generally has 2 parts. A part where the solid model is defined (model space), and another part where the layout drawings are made (paper space). It is possible that the layouts are there but aren't dusplayed.

theres no program to load and click.. :-)
    but you can ask help, what program can ""slice"" your solid and sections can be dimensioned..

think prctically.. you got a model about a bread..
    slice it up and butter it..

means if you have a sphere, you cut half, and you can measure the diameter..

as gerry mentioned, if you have no experience with cad-cam it will be hard for you..

folks who made your model, they know how dimensions can be derivated of this solid..
    if it were an organic model, imagine a human body, then need to break down to parts, that can be milled from all side..
    example of a humna body separating at least limbs and head and creating separated files for machining.