586,410 active members*
3,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Durma Fiber Laser

Hi guys, my first post here

We are interested in purchasing a industrial fiber laser and like the Durma HD Fiber laser at durmausa.com

I would love some input and thoughts as it costs a ridiculous amount of money and it's always good to do your homework properly.

Our first option was Trumph but the sales rep shot off the idea of fiber and wanted to promote their CO2 system which we are not interested in due to longevity and power consumption issues.

I read Durma uses IPG lasers - are they really that good?

If there any alternatives out there I would appreciate some links

Thank you in advance

The minute somebodies sales pitch is reliant on flaming other peoples products you can pretty much bet they are being conservative with the truth.
    Nothing wrong with Fibre lasers and Durma are a good make.

Have a good look round though, Mazak, Mitsubishi and many others all make very good laser systems (I have 2 x Mitsus and never had any problems with them)

best wishes

Dave

Hi Dave

Could you please send me a link or model number of your machines, we need to cut to about 6mm SS and table size 3m

Thanks again

Hiya,

Have a look at these Welcome to Mazak - The leader in 2D and 3D Industrial Laser Cutting Machines

Mine are uprated ML-2512-LZP Series Mitsu's with the LC20 control and non contact head. The standard 2512 is rated at 2000 watts but if you are going to be burning a lot of stainless I'd go to at least 3000 watts or if you can run the cost maybe the 4000.

If I'm honest and had my time over again I probably would have gone for waterjets.

best wishes

Dave

Please elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Hiya,

Have a look at these Welcome to Mazak - The leader in 2D and 3D Industrial Laser Cutting Machines

Mine are uprated ML-2512-LZP Series Mitsu's with the LC20 control and non contact head. The standard 2512 is rated at 2000 watts but if you are going to be burning a lot of stainless I'd go to at least 3000 watts or if you can run the cost maybe the 4000.

If I'm honest and had my time over again I probably would have gone for waterjets.

best wishes

Dave
    Hi Dave

I am curious why you say waterjet, we will be cutting very fine grids etc. We will primarily cut stainless steel.

Isn't a waterjet a messy business and expensive to run?

Thx your your input thus far

Laser cutting vs. water jet cutting - standard metal cutting processes

The above is from a Pro laser seller (who sells laser cutters) and will show some of the differences

It's future proofing I'd look at, lasers are great but physics limits much of what they can do. Take aluminium....even on the Mitsu's it's a big problem for thermal conductivity and reflection waterjets just whizz through it.

Stainless edge hammon lines (discolouration) can be removed by the use of assist gasses but again it costs quite a bit to pump O2 or N2 through the nozzle. Nozzles are expensive to replace as well

So given my same choice I'd have gone for one waterjet and one laser rather than the two lasers I ended up with.

Just some thoughts

best wishes

Dave

Thank you for the great info - I will most definitely keep this in mind when we make our decisions.

The waterjet was never option until now - truly amazing

Thanks again

your very welcome my friend

best wishes

Dave

We have both. Both high end ( Amada and Flow Sytems) units. The waterjet is 100% dirtier than the laser, WAAAAAY more maintenance intensive, and seems like more expensive to run. Always changing high pressure hoses, filters, nozzles etc on the waterjets. The laser is always more accurate, just cant cut as thick of material. And ours is a CO2 laser, not a fiber. ( we do have other fiber lasers for the small intricate cutting/welding but those are laser heads mounted to HAAS mills.