587,013 active members*
3,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas ST20 Lathe Tool Offsets

Haas ST20 Lathe Tool Offsets

Anyone know how to set different offsets for the front and back of a parting tool. I want to set the front of my tool to T0303, and the back of the tool to T0313. The controller won't let me do it. Parameter 65 is set to 12 'cause it's a 12 position turret, and the controller won't let me change it. Thanks.

What is the control doing if you try it? (what alarm?)

On the mills there is a setting 15 that checks that the tool and "H" callout are the same...but you can turn it off so you can use any tool and any "H" callout if you like...

I believe that you can do the same on the lathe...but it has been a while since I've been on a haas lathe...btw - this is the mill forum lol.
    Tim

No wonder I didn't get any hits when I did a search for ST20. When I try to change the parameter, I get FUNCTION LOCKED as a response. Parameter 15 is the rev encoder parameter for the Y axis. Thanks.

I know they changed the controls on the newer machines, but out SL-10 can do it. No special settings or parameters to make it do it. Just touch the tool off on the probe for the offset you want it to use on that corner. So if you want tool 3 to use offset 3 for the front, touch X and the Z for the front under offset 3 on the tool geometry offset page. If you want the back to use offset 13, touch X and Z for the back under offset 13. No rocket science there.

Once that is done, right your program according to how you wanted to use the parting tool, calling T303 or T313. Again, I don't know how much they changed the control for the newer machines. You may have to call T0303 or T0313 as you stated. Again, no rocket science here.

I may be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that they would let you do it on the older machine and not on the newer version. Like I said, I do it all the time. I have a grooving tool that I use that takes different length and width inserts. Each of my most used inserts for it have their own offset numbers. I just change the insert, and call the different offset and it's off to the races.

If all else fails, call the applications person at your local HFO or the applications dept. at Haas. I am sure they can get you going.

Good luck!

Mike