586,416 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New Opti BF46 - soon to be CNC'ed
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: New Opti BF46 - soon to be CNC'ed

Hey Digits,
    Pics on the weekend,even though it will only be of a few servos and drives and other thingos

But progress will be rather quick from hereon in....i have also ordered the Mesa 5I25 and 7I77 kit, just a bit concerned about bandwidth for the std parallel port, hey, i guess for this built, if i have to justify anything, i will :lol:

Keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Beano

I'll be watching this thread with much interest. I'm in process of importing a BF46 to the USA, but it is currently hung up in customs. I hope they don't hold it for ransom for too much money, as I hear manual inspections can cost big $$ (the container has been x-rayed so far).

I'm also going with DMM AC drives like Mr. Bean did, 750 W on all three axes. My initial attempt will be with a 2:1 belt ratio, all controlled with a Dynomotion Kflop. Once (if?) the mill finally arrives, I'll start my own build thread.

So until then, carry on, and lead the way!

-Steve

Good luck with yours, I hope it clears customs soon!

Be prepared to manhandle it to get it in position in its final resting place though, it is a monster! Please keep us posted, there are very few builds of this machine around.

Cheers,
    Beano

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean_pm View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    After a very busy spell at work, a new regional role and all the pressure that goes with it, I finally managed to get my Mill uncrated, on its pedestal, (temporarily) DRO'ed, and even cut a few chips with it.

But, as I don't have much time at my disposal for my hobbys, whatever little time I have, it needs to be used efficiently, so this conversion will proceed - of course, any old excuse to do this would suffice, but time-management is as good as any :lol:

I finally made the decision to go with AC Servos and drives from DMM-Tech, they are with TNT in Australia and will be delivered on Monday, yeay - sad that I am flying out to Bangkok on tuesday though for the weeke again, but such is life, at least now the components are coming in. Refer to the attachment for the list....

I have also purchased a wallmount Rittal 500mm (h) x 400mm (w) x 210mm (d) cabinet to house the computer, drives, as well as a 15" panel mount display and industrial keyboard - this will be the control center. I do have a variety of industrial SBC computers to choose from, all Commell-based motherboards, i.e LV-677, LS-373, LS-573, LE-570E, oreven Pico-ITX, but no need for that..... These are all coming with std RS-232 and RS-485 ports, as well as an onboard LVDS interface to connect the correct LCD without a controller directly to the motherboard....to make for a small footprint very powerful setup.

I will naturally finish the cabinet and controls-side first, before dabbling into the mechanical side - I am an automation guy after all, hehe.

@ Kiwi 007: If you read this, can you let me know where in NZ you got your ballscrews from, are they 20mm or 25mm?

I got my ballscrews from the dealer that sold me my mill, do you want me to see if he can source a set for you??

@ Madwelder: I will go and check your buildlog too, thanx for linking.

Cheers,
    Beano
    See highlights above

Hey Kiwi,
    Would be obliged if you can do, please Mate, I see you replied in your thread too, thanx!

Otherwise I can give them a bel and see if they can help me. Can you recall the pricing on yours?

Cheers,
    Beano

Hey Guys,
    A few pics to show it actualy exsists

and the DRO I have fitted.....

and the actual machine itself - it doesn't look like it from the photo, but it stands at ~2.2M tall on its stand - it is a big bench mill, as mentioned earlier...

Here a few pics of the 2x 750W DMM Tech motors and DYN3-H drives - I went down this path as now I do not need external PSU's for the drives, they are powered directly from 220V AC....

and

and drives........

and

and them all sitting nice and cosy together...

I do have a Mesanet 5I25 and 7I77 controller card and breakout board too, I will not be using the original DMM Tech breakout board....I will post pics of that when I take the Camera to the garage - to chilly out there now.

Cheers,
    Beano

What Oz are you drives rated to mate?

Hey Mate, they are rated at 0,750kW or pretty close to 1HP - at the rated rpm of 1,200 it would be ~ 845 oz-in.....

Hey Mate, they are rated at 0,750kW or pretty close to 1HP - at the rated rpm of 1,200 it would be ~ 845 oz-in.....
    Nice set of bits you have there Having 3-HP in the axes sounds a bit insane though - well, done!

Cheers digits, hopefully I can get the mechanical bits sorted with Kiwi007's help

Have you managed to make any more progress? I've seen a BF46 in the metal myself now, and I'm very interested to know how well they CNC...

Envy! Steppers for me.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Unfortunately not much progress, professional life exceedingly busy, barely at home during the weeks anymore.

I am most likely going to keep this as a manual mill only, and order a CNC setup from Skyfire (www.skyfirecnc.com) I will use my motors and controllers, but the machine will be CNC ready, with linear ways and other goodies. It was designed as a CNC machine from the ground up, pretty impressive specs, I should have done this back then, pity they were not available then. I will opt for the SMV-2.

A big worklog here, if you are interested.

I will anyway keep you posted on what I will do with the BF46, been operating it in manual mode for my small projects.

Cheers,
    Beano

Unfortunately not much progress, professional life exceedingly busy, barely at home during the weeks anymore.

I am most likely going to keep this as a manual mill only, and order a CNC setup from Skyfire (www.skyfirecnc.com) I will use my motors and controllers, but the machine will be CNC ready, with linear ways and other goodies. It was designed as a CNC machine from the ground up, pretty impressive specs, I should have done this back then, pity they were not available then. I will opt for the SMV-2.

A big worklog here, if you are interested.

I will anyway keep you posted on what I will do with the BF46, been operating it in manual mode for my small projects.

Cheers,
    Beano
    If I were you, I would wait for Skyfire to deliver a machine first. If you do buy from him go through PayPal.

PayPal onliy helps to some Extend it didnt for me ...

Thanx for the feedback, guys, appreciated!

I think the first machine has shipped, will await feedback and go from there It is a significant investment for a hobbyist, I need to make sure this will answer my needs.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
    Beano

Thanx for the feedback, guys, appreciated!

I think the first machine has shipped, will await feedback and go from there It is a significant investment for a hobbyist, I need to make sure this will answer my needs.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
    Beano
    Hi,

Just wondering if you have the dimensions for the ball-screws. I have a BF46 I would like to start converting, and thought the best place to start would be the ball-screws.

Cheers
    Rick

You Camp büy a kit for that als far as i Know

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

@Thomas: Yes, good advice, I am aware of the kit available for the BF46.

After observing the issues around SkyFireCNC, which includes long delays from order to delivery, partial deliveries, I decided to continue with the BF46.

I have it already, it is a nice solid machine, and would lend itself very well to a CNC conversion. I will visit a local shop who is able to get me a standard Optimum Factory CNC conversion kit, ok, not the whole kit, but the ballscrews, as well as motor mounts. In any event, this will no longer be a big deal, I have all the bearing numbers available now, and can actually design my own solution with HiWin screws.....I might even do custom bearing blocks, no biggie - I will do the design and have them machined somewhere, as have no access to machining equipment.

So, all mechanical bits will have to be outsourced, no hassles - anyone knows someone that can machine the bearing blocks from my CAD files, I will be appreciated.

Onto the electronics: I will run LinuxCNC, and it is already installed on a pretty decent Lex Twister 963A setup. Latencies are ok, and the MESA PCI 5i25 is setup and recognized in the CNC app....

I have a 7i77 that will connect to the 5i25, and this will be the interface to the drive controllers. As you might recall from earlier, I sourced 3x DMMTech DYN3 drive controllers, as well as 3x 750W servos. I will not use the controllers anymore, I have instead opted to go with controllers I know pretty well, 3x Argon controllers from Granite Devices. I will also replace the 14-bit encoders on the 750W servos with quadrature encoders, so it can be used with the Argon and 7i77 board.

I will sell the DMMTech sevos.

I already have a nice enclosure for it all, as well as a 24V PSU to supply the electronics, and a few isolators etc....thus this part will go rather quick.

I should make rapid progress with the control-side of things, I know this project was up and down for a long time, but things will start to move along now.

I will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
    Beano

If You live in Europa we can do the Parts for You Thomas

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 1234