586,708 active members*
2,438 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas, how to find total on time?

Haas, how to find total on time?

I can't remember how the tech did that & got to the page that had total splindle run time & total on time. This is a 2004 mini mill.

CURNT COMDS then PAGE DOWN until you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    CURNT COMDS then PAGE DOWN until you see it.
    That only gives the power on time & cycle start time & feed cutting
    time that can be zeroed with the origin key.
    I have paged down till it goes back.

I see machines on ebay that show the "total" hrs on the machine since
    it was new, something abour debug mode?
    I paid cash for this machine new & would like to see just how many hrs
    I have put on it.
    Can anybody help?

PARAM DGNOS twice to get the Diagnostics screen then PAGE DOWN until you see a page with RUN TIME near the bottom.

That appear to just show power on time. You'd think there would be a un-alterable POWER/FEED time like from the "CURNT COMDS then PAGE DOWN" version.
    BTW how do you adjust the time on the "TIME" clock? Mine is not accurate.

I think you can adjust the time by pressing the help/calc button a few times and maybe page down. I t was some wherein ther it shows the time in big numbers and you can highlight different parts and change them.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    PARAM DGNOS twice to get the Diagnostics screen then PAGE DOWN until you see a page with RUN TIME near the bottom.
    Thanks, but on this new Ver 13.03 that only shows the total run time &
    total tool changes. Unlike the old Haas that broke it down into splindle on
    time, feed time & just the on time (which mine shows as 336 hrs).
    Which I think is right as I only run it once a month for a few hrs.
    I bought it new on 7-20-04.

Is there something I am missing or is that all the new machines show?

051108-2010 EST USA

duenow:

If you have the MACRO option, then find in the discussion on MACROs (it is under Options ) the list of variable addresses. In my VF-0 book these are on pages 344 - 349. See #3011 thru #3025.

You can read these values by the following technique:

#111 = #3011
    #112 = #3012

#120 = #3020
    etc.

Put these in an O-number program or use MDI to execute. Then use CURNT COMDS and page to MACRO variables and read the values at address #111, etc.

I hope HAAS is not mucking up the system by redfining these variables for different classes of machines. I have no experience with the mini machines, but I have to assume that most variables are going to be the same for different classes of machines for basic functions otherwise they would have an internal mess.

On our VF-3 I found that #3011 and #3012 are read only, but the manual does not classify them as such.

As discussed in above posts I looked for a screen where these could be changed, but so far have found none.

The HAAS manual is poorly indexed, and many terms are poorly defined. In many cases to understand what is being said you need apriori information that is not in your general background and/or need to deduce or experiment to find out how to create your own definition.

For example, what is #3020 Power on timer? Is this the cumulative total time AC power is present at the input to the disconnect switch and the disconnect is closed, or is it the time after the green button is pushed ( meaning in machine control language CRM is energized ), or do the servos also have to be on. What does Cycle start timer mean? Is this the time from program start to M30 or reset? How does single step fit in? Etc, etc ----.

I had a look on a variety of my machines. A 1995 HL1 only has the Power On, Cycle Start and Feed Cutting that you find using Page Down in Current Commands. All the others; lathes and mills from 2000 to 2005 have these three and also the Run Time on the Diagnostics page.

Regarding GAR's query about what do the three listed above actually mean I did some playing one time and as far as I can determine Power On is the total time between pushing the Green Power On button and the Red Power Off. Cycle start time seems to be the actual cycle running time and I recall it stopped accummulating time when Feed Hold, M01, M00 and Single Block had actually stopped program execution. Feed Cutting time seems to just accummulate time only when anything other than G00 is being executed. I would consider this to be equivalent to spindle run time.

051109-0809 EST USA

Geof:

Did you happen to experiment with the "power on" timer test where instead of pushing the off button you shutdown by turning off the disconnect switch?

Quote Originally Posted by gar
    051109-0809 EST USA

Geof:

Did you happen to experiment with the "power on" timer test where instead of pushing the off button you shutdown by turning off the disconnect switch?

No. What type of difference would you expect? I have been told some circuits maintain power when the disconnect switch is on but the machine is 'off' but I do not know their function. Power On time certainly seems to track the total time the machines are powered up.

One discrepancy I have seen is between the Run Time on the diagnostics page and the Power On time but it is only a small amount different.

051109-1435 EST USA

Gerof:

Depending upon how total time is measured there may be a difference in the results between shutoff from the POWER OFF button and just pulling the disconnect.

Suppose we have memory locations TOTAL PWR ON, ON TIME, OFF TIME.

The values stored in ON and OFF TIME are from the real time clock.

Let TOTAL PWR ON = TOTAL PWR ON + ( OFF TIME - ON TIME ).

Assume that the computer power supply has large enough capacitors to keep processing for a sufficent time after AC power is lost that the TOTAL POWER ON can be calculated.

First logic method.

When the POWER ON button is pushed the current value of the real time clock is read and stored in the ON TIME memory location. This obviously overwrites anything in that location.

When the POWER OFF button is pushed the current value of the real time clock is read and stored in the OFF TIME memory location. Also the TOTAL POWER ON equation is processed which adds the current on time to the previously accumulated TOTAL PWR ON.

Same logic method>

In this example the power is turned off by pulling the disconnect switch. Now there is no operation of the POWER OFF button, and thus OFF TIME is not read and the equation is not processed. Thus this time is lost.

Second logic method.

Here instead of using signals from the push buttons to process the reads and calculation, we have a circuit that rectifies and filters the AC power input and creates a leading and trailing edge signal. These edge signals are used in place of the push buttons, and now turn off by any means will produce the expected results. Whether just the disconnect is monitored, or the CRM will determine the definition of TOTAL PWR TIME.

monitoring current cycle time...

Originally posted by gar
    duenow:

If you have the MACRO option, then find in the discussion on MACROs (it is under Options ) the list of variable addresses. In my VF-0 book these are on pages 344 - 349. See #3011 thru #3025.

You can read these values by the following technique:

#111 = #3011
    #112 = #3012

#120 = #3020
    etc.

Put these in an O-number program or use MDI to execute. Then use CURNT COMDS and page to MACRO variables and read the values at address #111, etc.

I hope HAAS is not mucking up the system by redfining these variables for different classes of machines. I have no experience with the mini machines, but I have to assume that most variables are going to be the same for different classes of machines for basic functions otherwise they would have an internal mess.

On our VF-3 I found that #3011 and #3012 are read only, but the manual does not classify them as such.

As discussed in above posts I looked for a screen where these could be changed, but so far have found none.

The HAAS manual is poorly indexed, and many terms are poorly defined. In many cases to understand what is being said you need apriori information that is not in your general background and/or need to deduce or experiment to find out how to create your own definition.

For example, what is #3020 Power on timer? Is this the cumulative total time AC power is present at the input to the disconnect switch and the disconnect is closed, or is it the time after the green button is pushed ( meaning in machine control language CRM is energized ), or do the servos also have to be on. What does Cycle start timer mean? Is this the time from program start to M30 or reset? How does single step fit in? Etc, etc ----.

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but since it's related and this thread helped me figure out the answer I was looking for, I figured it can go here. If it should go in a new thread, please tell me and I'll move it...

A friend asked how to monitor current cycle time on his Haas for long(er) part cycles. It's easy to PGUP or PGDN to get to the cycle start timer, but you have to hit origin each time you want to reset it (unless I'm missing something). A quick look in the manual for my VF-2 (non SS) shows macro system variable #3021 is the cycle start timer and that it's read only. But, resetting it at the top of any program (#3021=0) resets the variable so you don't have to hit origin each time. So I'm not sure what Haas means by the statement in their manual that this is a "read-only" variable, or if the information is just outdated or incorrect.

Anyway, I thought others might find this useful if they can benefit from being able to check how much longer a part cycle has to go.

Mike

I don't own a Haas (yet) but here is a procedure I got from a dealer to get total time. Maybe someone can give it a try and let me know if it works.
    Ralph

HAAS HOUR READING

Turn on machine
    Press POWER UP RESTART to home the machine out
    Press SETTING GRAPH button
    Go to parameter number 7 (Parameter Lock)
    Press right arrow key to turn parameter off
    Press the WRITE key
    Press ALARM MESSAGE button
    Type in the word DEBUG
    Press the WRITE key
    Press POSITION button
    Page up twice

Anyone happen to try the steps in my previous post? Just wondering what info it gives.
    Ralph

I have 2005 haas tm-1 and that is what will give you the non-resetable time.
    It gives power on time, servo time and spindle time. Just be carefull not to change any of the parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by rawen2 View Post
    I don't own a Haas (yet) but here is a procedure I got from a dealer to get total time. Maybe someone can give it a try and let me know if it works.
    Ralph

HAAS HOUR READING

Turn on machine
    Press POWER UP RESTART to home the machine out
    Press SETTING GRAPH button
    Go to parameter number 7 (Parameter Lock)
    Press right arrow key to turn parameter off
    Press the WRITE key
    Press ALARM MESSAGE button
    Type in the word DEBUG
    Press the WRITE key
    Press POSITION button
    Page up twice
    Yes you're right rawen2. That is the procedure to see the hidden spindle and run times. Just be aware that if a new software version was ever installed on your machine, those timers were also reset at that time.

hoganj and jwarren,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I was on vacation when you answered and just now found your posts.
    Ralph