586,145 active members*
3,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1996 Haas VF-2 trouble shooting

1996 Haas VF-2 trouble shooting

Hey there ,I've got a 1996 haas VF-2. About a month ago the monitor stopped coming on so you can't control the machine, witch as you know is a big problem. Before that there were no problems with the machine, it ran great. Any ideas??? I've got one other question,we run this machine in a small shop with a phase converter. Could running a CNC off of a phase converter damage the machine??? Please email me,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmtreeguy View Post
    Hey there ,I've got a 1996 haas VF-2. About a month ago the monitor stopped coming on so you can't control the machine, witch as you know is a big problem. Before that there were no problems with the machine, it ran great. Any ideas??? I've got one other question,we run this machine in a small shop with a phase converter. Could running a CNC off of a phase converter damage the machine??? Please email me,thanks.
    Sounds like the low voltage power supply, (looks like a computer power supply).

Thousands of machines are run off of phase converters, mine too. Just make sure the voltage taps are correct. Otherwise, no problem.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

1996 haas VF-2 trouble shooting

Hey thanks man! We were in the control panel juggling wires to see if anything was loose. I hope it's something that simple. Now here's a stupid question,to make it easier to find can you tell me were on the machine the low voltage power supply would be on the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmtreeguy View Post
    Hey thanks man! We were in the control panel juggling wires to see if anything was loose. I hope it's something that simple. Now here's a stupid question,to make it easier to find can you tell me were on the machine the low voltage power supply would be on the machine?
    About 12 inches left of the breaker switch. It is literally a computer power supply.

Here's one on ebay. Check your numbers and see.

Maybe a tech will chime in here.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Hey, just thought of something.

I came into to work a about 10 days ago and my computer in the office would not fire up. Power pulsed and such then shut off with out ever coming on, tried many times too. I thought it might be the power supply and it was cold in the office, so I got out my heat gun and put some warm air in the case.

A few minutes later I tried to fire it up and it came right on. Did it again a few days ago. Heat gun again and fired right up.

Is it cold where you are? If so, you might want to try that. Just keep the heat source far away so as not to damage any wires of anything. Warm slowly and then try it.

Mike

I might think that the monitor may have just died due to old age. If that is the case, there MAY be an option... Maybe there is someone on here that can confirm this, as I have not done it.

A fairly reliable source told me some of the older machines with the CRT monitors have the capability of using an external monitor. Basically unplug the built in monitor and plug in the external. Put the external monitor on a table or shelf next to or under the control and you have a monitor.

Again, this may, or may not be a solution to your problem. Anyone done this? Otherwise, you may be in for buying a new monitor from Haas. Not sure what they cost, but undoubtedly, it will be cheaper than a new machine!

Mike

You know, you never said whether the controls still work? Can you still jog and such or are the button not working either.

If everything else works, then it may be just the monitor or video board.

Mike

A new monitor cost me about $500 including shipping and tax from Haas. Very easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    You know, you never said whether the controls still work? Can you still jog and such or are the button not working either.

If everything else works, then it may be just the monitor or video board.

Mike
    Can we get an answer to this question?

Mike