587,035 active members*
3,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Soft Limits & Limit Switches

Finally got my Shoptask 3-In-1, 1993 model 17-20 XMTC, restored and working on all three axis's! (Only took me two years!) LoL. Now I have to ask some "newbie" questions about Mach3. Do I have to have limit switches to set up soft limits to keep from accidentally hitting the chuck or tail stock? Thanks

Nope, you don't have to have "hard" limit switches to use soft limits. But you should have at least homing switches to reference somehow your soft limits. That's what I have and it works like charm. One switch per axis, all NC in series used as homing (optionally also as one side limit) switches. Then soft limits turn on. When you power up, reference all your axis and you are set.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Foogl View Post
    Nope, you don't have to have "hard" limit switches to use soft limits. But you should have at least homing switches to reference somehow your soft limits. That's what I have and it works like charm. One switch per axis, all NC in series used as homing (optionally also as one side limit) switches. Then soft limits turn on. When you power up, reference all your axis and you are set.
    Thanks Foogl for your post.
    Uh Oh! Now more confusion comes to roost! I read the manual "but" obviously I'm lost in CNC jargin world. "NC in series?" Are they hard switches or software config switches? Oooooh, my tiny brain is going to explode! LoL :drowning:

Homing

Hi,

I would check the the people at Shop Task and see what pins, if any, you can use for each axis for homing and limits on your parallel port connection. I would think you may have to upgrade your parallel port connection to an updated breakout board. Maybe you could post a picture of your current parallel port connection so the guys here could see what you have.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]