I've got a KMB1 I am converting to Mach 3 control. I looked at EMC and its fine, but I already run Mach 3 on two other machines and I am very familiar with it. Anyway, I am pretty much scrapping all of the old servo controllers, processer, memory boards etc.

Its got Randtronics Servomates.

I am saving a couple transformers, and power supply hardware, the VFD, position sensors, the servos, all the mechanical hardware, and spindle motor. (I may change the spindle motor later to a smaller one. This one is 5HP, and the manual says its a 4.) Two of the encoders crumbled when I touched them, but the one on the Z axis is till intact if somebody wants it.

If anybody needs any parts tell me what you want and make me a reasonable offer. I already looked to see what the salvage guys are asking en Ebay. No I am not trying to get nearly new prices like some of those guys, but I'm going to laugh at you if you offer nothing for everything too. LOL.

I've about got the VFD setup figured out. The motor was a trick since its actually two motors in one. If anybody has a cooling fan for it I would sure appreciate it. Two of the blades broke off the cooling motor in mine. The motor is a Leland with a 6273 that has a second motor inside to just run the cooling fan when the main motor is running to slow to cool itself.

The machine is getting new step direction input servo controllers and new 1000 line encoders. I looked at Gecko for a long time, but as near as I can tell these servo are powered with 90VDC and Marcus' responses didn't give me the warm fuzzies when I asked him about it. He said there is a safety margin in his controllers, but another conversation let me know if there was a problem I would be out the cash if they fried. I am currently vacilating between Dugong controllers and Viper controllers. We will see when I have the cash for them how I feel about them.

Its been sitting in the shop for a while with half the stuff pulled and half not. I got on a kick over the last weekend to get on it some more, and started pulling everything I didn't think I would need. One thing I pulled not really realizing what they were was the braking resisters. Holy crap, those things are huge. Of course then the first thing I started to reconnect and configure was the VFD... LOL. "Braking resister? I didn't see no braking resistor.... Oh CRAP! Yes I did." LOL.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this will progress, but I'll try to keep a build log on this thread as I go.

I already overcame my first hurdle. I couldn't figure out why there six primary wires coming out of the spindle motor... As I mentioned before. Its because its actually 2 motors. I ordered another smaller inverter to just run the fan motor for now. I'll set it up so the fan motor is on any time the main power is on so I just won't have to worry about it.