586,617 active members*
2,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fagor 8025 or 8035

I am new to machining, so please excuse my ignorance. We are picking up our first CNC lathe (gang lathe). From the company we are purchasing it from we have the option to run the Fagor 8025 and the 8035 (7,995 upgrade).

What is the main advantages to the 8035 vs. the 8025? I have tried to search online with no luck for a real world comparison.

The Fagor Manuals are available online and generally have a list of features and differences?
    AFAIK these are legacy controls and I was recently told by Fagor that they do not support them anymore for parts etc, at least for the 8025.
    There were a couple of option features on the 8025 as far as firmware, such as threading and C axis etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The Fagor Manuals are available online and generally have a list of features and differences?
    AFAIK these are legacy controls and I was recently told by Fagor that they do not support them anymore for parts etc, at least for the 8025.
    There were a couple of option features on the 8025 as far as firmware, such as threading and C axis etc.
    Al.

Al,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have seen the manuals and I did notice the C axis, but we really don't have the need to do a full C axis, we are only going to use the indexing to drill out holes once in a while.

Beyond that, I really don't know what I am looking at to tell the differences.

For the parts, the company we are purchasing the machine from has full support on the components with parts and service.

I checked out the Fagor site for the 8035 and it is way ahead of the 8025.
    http://www.fagor-automation.com/Prod...t_cnc_8035.pdf
    The 8025 is very basic and does not have a graphic screen or conversational programing as the 8035 does.
    It may be worth a quick call into the Fagor US office, just to get their input, I have usually found their customer service very good.
    Al.

Albert E.

I checked out the Fagor site for the 8035 and it is way ahead of the 8025.
    http://www.fagor-automation.com/Prod...t_cnc_8035.pdf
    The 8025 is very basic and does not have a graphic screen or conversational programing as the 8035 does.
    It may be worth a quick call into the Fagor US office, just to get their input, I have usually found their customer service very good.
    Al.
    Thanks for the idea, i called up Fagor, and they were very friendly. He said that the 8035 was made to replace out the 8025 and it basically a 10 year newer version. It has a faster CPU, but for the job that we are looking to do, (radius on end of tubing), its not something we will really notice. I am sure there is more of a difference then that, otherwise why would they quit making it.

Has anyone used both controls and can say, the 8035 is the best thing since sliced bread, or both of them are the same, just nicer user interface. I am just trying to justify paying the difference.

The 8025 is a capable control, it is just that if you get a failure you may be dead in the water for a while until you locate parts etc.
    At least that is my recent experience.
    Also make sure you have back up of all parameters and PLC, if it has an internal PLC module.
    Al.

Albert E.

The 8025 is a capable control, it is just that if you get a failure you may be dead in the water for a while until you locate parts etc.
    At least that is my recent experience.
    Also make sure you have back up of all parameters and PLC, if it has an internal PLC module.
    Al.
    Thanks, I was Google searching to try and find the differences between the 8025 and 8035 when i came across quite a few posts about the battery dying and loosing the parameters.

The company we are purchasing the machine from is going to give us a backup on the parameters, along with the first thing is to do our own backup and keep it at a separate location, lol.

The 8025 has an option of internal or external PLC, if this has an internal, then you need the PLC program also, if it has an external, I would find out what make/model and get a copy of the ladder or logic program.
    Al.

Albert E.

The 8025 has an option of internal or external PLC, if this has an internal, then you need the PLC program also, if it has an external, I would find out what make/model and get a copy of the ladder or logic program.
    Al.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by ZackTeryx View Post
    Thanks, I was Google searching to try and find the differences between the 8025 and 8035 when i came across quite a few posts about the battery dying and loosing the parameters.

The company we are purchasing the machine from is going to give us a backup on the parameters, along with the first thing is to do our own backup and keep it at a separate location, lol.
    The 8025 was dropped from full support at the new year, with limited parts available in fagor's warehouse. There are so many issues that can come up over time with it losing the memory or not functioning properly as all these components in the control are old and replacing a board in the unit will not guarantee how long it will last as there are no new parts (all of fagor's 8025 parts in stock are refurbished). The battery dying is not as much of an issue as most people make it out to be. Those batteries can last 10 years, but most people dont take note of when the battery is draining so they replace it when it is too late... Of all my experiences with the 8025, I've only seen the low battery message come up a handful of times... not a good notification to replace.

The 8035's main advantage is how modern it is. It's like a miniature 8055, but not as powerful (thats what a fagor tech summed it up to me as). Hell i'd go with that 8035 anyday and glady never have to worry about the damn crt ever again.