586,308 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > X axis Soft Over Travel Parameter

X axis Soft Over Travel Parameter

Machine: 2011 SR20J Swiss Sta

Control: Fanuc 31i B Series

Problem: I'm preforming a Milling Operation with Tool T3100 (Live Tooling Side T3100-T3500). I have to extend the amount X- can travel to clear the part. I need to know the Parameter (soft over travel) that allows the user to change the amount X axis can soft over travel.

I am not 100% sure there is a parameter for soft overtravel, although on other machines I generally see around 1mm. So, unless you need a minute amount of extra travel, that would not do you any good. I typically modify 1320 and 1321. A word of caution though - I find that if the travel were available, the MTB would have given it to you up front.

This is possible to change.

In your manual there should be a softovertravel page where you can find the appropriate parameters. On my 32J they are in the 9180s, and each T31-35 has its own number.

I had to change my ZB over travel limits while double end drilling, and I had to find the parameter which was #9253, and it updates the machine in parameter #1322 when the tool is selected.

So, you should have a parameter in the 1300s which gets updated (its values change) based on a 9800 parameter setting for your current tool..

Honestly, give star a call and theyll give you the exact parameters, you wont have to fuss around and thats how I figured all this stuff out. Really, more times than not the guys down there have the answer you are looking for and can get it to you a lot faster than anyone on here can.

Over travel

In my experience there is not much additional (if any) travel available in this situation. Typically T3100 & T3500 are reserved for "on center" work with milling being performed by T3200 - T3400.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by chet470 View Post
    In my experience there is not much additional (if any) travel available in this situation. Typically T3100 & T3500 are reserved for "on center" work with milling being performed by T3200 - T3400.

Good Luck
    There is as much travel as there is total x axis movement.. so there is a lot of travel. Unless you're on the top tool and you want to over travel down or you're on the bottom tool and want to travel up. Either way, even if you are on the top tool you can clear by moving above the part, and if youre on the bottom tool you can clear by moving below the part. The limits are there moreso so you dont run into other cross working tools. If there are no other tools there then there is no issue, but you have to be careful of these things when changing any limits.. they are there for a reason. Its similar to turning off interference check on a citizen, you have to be VERY aware of what is going on and changing parameters is permanent. I would reccomend changing them back to stock specifications once your job is completed to be on the safe side.

You're only limited by the hard limits, the soft limits can all be modified within range of the hard limits.