586,471 active members*
3,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Please verify my tube is riented correctly.

I have a Rabbit Laser 120 watt 1290 that has started having a bunch of problems. It is a year and a half old and has about 800 hrs on it I'd say. First the circulating pump went bad (I assume first) and then I discovered the tube is flooded with antifreeze. No alarms went off about the pump untill the next morning when I powered on the machine. So I have a new pump on the way (Didn't find the tube issue till later) and have just installed my replacement tube I had on hand in the laser. I need to get the laser working and I can't seem to get any replies from the rabbit guys.

This is my first time changing the tube and I would like someone to verify that I have the coolant nipples oriented in the right direction so I don't get air bubbles and have another issue. See pics below.

Where can I get another backup 120 watt tube that will work in this laser in the US?

The laser was setup initally by Ray at rabbit with straight 50/50 antifreeze, but now I am told not to do that, why is this?

How do I get the antifreeze out of the old tube so I can dispose of it?

what is the best method to dispose of a laser tube?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-01-04_20-00-15_754.jpg   2012-01-04_19-59-55_779.jpg   2012-01-03_22-52-13_945.jpg   2012-01-03_21-32-41_583.jpg  

Necessity is the mother of all invention (unknown)
    My club home page www.lhmac.org

I just relized I left the "O" out of Oriented on the thread title. Oops!

If the tube got real hot and then was rapidly cooled, it would crack it. This could happen if the pump was not working and then suddenly did, or something like that. Just drain the antifreeze out by pouring it out of the cooling fittings. There is nothing dangerous about a laser tube, its about like a lightbulb now, just pitch it. I guess your laser doesn't have it but a flow switch in the cooling line and a thermal switch on the tube would have probably prevented this from happening.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    If the tube got real hot and then was rapidly cooled, it would crack it. This could happen if the pump was not working and then suddenly did, or something like that. Just drain the antifreeze out by pouring it out of the cooling fittings. There is nothing dangerous about a laser tube, its about like a lightbulb now, just pitch it. I guess your laser doesn't have it but a flow switch in the cooling line and a thermal switch on the tube would have probably prevented this from happening.

Matt
    I tried pouring it out the fittings but the coolant is all in the outer tube and the crack is a hairline crack so no fluid is getting back into the coolant tube to exit. I do have a flow switch and is still working. Not sure if it has a thermal switch on the tube.

Does the new tube look like it is installed correctly to you??

Thanks,
    Rob

:wave:

Maybe you could put a screwdriver in there and "enlarge" the crack? Breaking it in half would also work, but would be a mess and may be dangerous as well. If the tube did not get too hot, I am not sure why it cracked. If it cracked while running, possibly the high voltage flowed through the water to the pump motor and fried the insulation in it? If it cracked because it was overheated, I would think that would mean you lost coolant flow. But if the flow switch is working and wired to disable the laser when flow is lost, I don't see how that could have happened. It is possible for flow switches to stick periodically though.

I have no idea if your tube is installed correctly, my only experience is with RF lasers.

Matt

Maybe you could put a screwdriver in there and "enlarge" the crack? Breaking it in half would also work, but would be a mess and may be dangerous as well. If the tube did not get too hot, I am not sure why it cracked. If it cracked while running, possibly the high voltage flowed through the water to the pump motor and fried the insulation in it? If it cracked because it was overheated, I would think that would mean you lost coolant flow. But if the flow switch is working and wired to disable the laser when flow is lost, I don't see how that could have happened. It is possible for flow switches to stick periodically though.

I have no idea if your tube is installed correctly, my only experience is with RF lasers.

Matt
    Thanks for the reply. I don't understand at all why the tube cracked. the flow sensor will shut off the laser and I verified it iwas working by sqeezing the coolant tube and tripping it. I know I am frustrated to wits end becuse I cant get any answers from the place I bought it from. I have been down for a week today and have orders backing up. I was hoping someone on here could help me out.

It's really frustrating as this is the first major issue I have had with the laser and all the support that supposed to be there is suddenly gone. I am wondering if the straight 50/50 antifreeze affected the pump and caused the failure that went from $37 to very expensive. It also appears I cannot get the tubes that came with the laser 1.5 years ago and will be forced to go to a much lower wattage or pay through the freaking nose for the next step up (150 watts).

I need to get this running ASAP.
    Thanks for all the input

I just got verification on the tube orientation and it is correct.

Apparently I cannot get a direct replacement tube for the laser even though it is only a year and a half old. The new tubes are RECI (not sure what that is, is it Co2? Ill have to look it up) and I would need new mounting brackets and my power supply could damage the tube If I go over 80% power. at least my pump should be here today and I can get running again.

You are starting to understand why people who depend on their machines being up buy real machines, supported in the USA. That's the difference between $3k and $20k. Quality, reliability and support.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    I just got verification on the tube orientation and it is correct.

Apparently I cannot get a direct replacement tube for the laser even though it is only a year and a half old. The new tubes are RECI (not sure what that is, is it Co2? Ill have to look it up) and I would need new mounting brackets and my power supply could damage the tube If I go over 80% power. at least my pump should be here today and I can get running again.
    RECI tubes are a brand of Chinese CO2 tubes. They are a better quality tube. Chinese Laser Support Forums • View topic - RECI tubes v's chinese tubes

In the end, going to RECI is an upgrade and probably what more and more lasers will come with as a standard part. If you have no interest in spending $1000+ to upgrade to a RECI (which is fair enough because $1000+ isn't chump change) I'd look into contacting other vendors to get the regular glass tubes. They are still made and offered by everyone so it shouldn't be too hard to get. I'm not sure how much longer they will be readily available though.

Also not to cheat Rabbit out of business or money but if you're feeling adventurous, you could buy directly from China and save probably $400-500. Just make sure whatever vendor you work with lets you buy with a credit card. That way if it comes shattered in a million pieces, you can do a charge back.

You are starting to understand why people who depend on their machines being up buy real machines, supported in the USA. That's the difference between $3k and $20k. Quality, reliability and support.

Matt
    This isn't 100% true. Our laser is reliable and good quality but the support offered is down right awful. They aren't interested in helping. They just want to usher you to their independent contractor who services the machines for over $200/hr.

Matt
    I disagree,
    My laser has been flawless untill this happened. The advice was always good and fast untill recently. My buddy has an epilog laser and had as much if not more trouble than I did.

The pump has arrived, as long as it is the right one, I can get running tonight and deal with the replacement tube issue afterwards.

[QUOTE=rcpilot82;1045941]I disagree,
    My laser has been flawless untill this happened....QUOTE]

LOL! My skydiving experience was flawless until the parachute failed to open. Is it still considered a good time?

You will no doubt have issues with any machine, it is how they are resolved that becomes important. There are endless threads here outlining the horrors of Chinese lasers and virtually none regarding major issues with Epilog, Vytek, Kern, etc. laser systems. Sure lots of guys have good luck with the Chinese machines and have tweaked them in so they work well. Regardless of that, I think you and I would both bet on better service from a domestic company with a 20 year reputation and a real address rather than a Chinese guy who bought 20 machines from the local factory and wants to move them on ebay and then retire.

To each his own, obviously you are free to spend your money how you see fit.

Matt

[quote=keebler303;1046040]
    Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
    I disagree,
    My laser has been flawless untill this happened....QUOTE]

LOL! My skydiving experience was flawless until the parachute failed to open. Is it still considered a good time?

You will no doubt have issues with any machine, it is how they are resolved that becomes important. There are endless threads here outlining the horrors of Chinese lasers and virtually none regarding major issues with Epilog, Vytek, Kern, etc. laser systems. Sure lots of guys have good luck with the Chinese machines and have tweaked them in so they work well. Regardless of that, I think you and I would both bet on better service from a domestic company with a 20 year reputation and a real address rather than a Chinese guy who bought 20 machines from the local factory and wants to move them on ebay and then retire.

To each his own, obviously you are free to spend your money how you see fit.

Matt
    Perhaps a bit of background will help.
    I have a US Dealer/Parts center. That is/was Scottware. Ray personally delivered,installed, and setup my laser and then showed me how to use it. My purchase was not a drop shippment from china from a E-Bay store. I am not going to turn this into a debate over us vs. chinese machines. They all have thier issues.

I will have to decide what I want to do about a back up tube now, but other than that I am good. Still puzzled on the antifreeze thing but whatever, what's done is done.

I now have all of my questions answered, Thank You.

Hi RC,

At risk of upsetting RECI and a few RECI purists their tubes aren't really any better than the other far eastern makes. It's the way they are rated that is different.
    RECI tubes while thicker glass tend to poke above their weight for some time then drop to a stable figure below their rating.

ie: a 130 will pump what appears to be 140+ for a couple of 100 hours then drop back to their stable at around 100 to 110.Taking that into consideration a good chinese tube rated at 100 watts will pump 100 for some time 5 - 600 hours before tailing off.RECI's get their aparrent gain from using shorter fatter tubes when beam generation long term is a product of length not volume. The real world differences aren't what many people perceive and the difference between a good 100 and a average 130 isnt much as laser cutting follows the inverse square law, twice the power doesn't mean twice the speed. The more power you pump generates more carbon in say wood cutting and that carbon sucks up radiation very well. A mega tube isn't always the answer, good optics, a fast air assist flow and clean mirrors make far more difference. Support wise my $15,000 1290 doesnt get the same level as my twin mitsu 3600 watt machines but then again the mitsu's cost $300,000 each so that is to be expected really.

Tube orientation......hummm just watch for tube killer bubbles in the mirror chamber at the + end of the tube (right end from the front of the machine) I tend to advise running the water pump from a mains supply and not linked in to the machine as on start up cavitation in any pump can cause bubbles (want an exemple? looks at a ships propellor that runs underwater all the time and the pits that form in that due to water flow)

best wishes

Dave

ps: Don't use coloured antifreeze.... use clear...some of the coloured stuff will corrode your aliminium fittings as well as reduce laser power.(it filters the light at the mirror end of the tube)

best wishes

Dave

Thanks for the insight on the RECI tubes. I have the laser up and running well again and am no longer using any antifreeze. I am using distilled water with a antifungal/mold preventer. On my old tube the cooland did not pass through the laser beam. The brass cap that housed the lense had a jacket that took the coolant around the beam but not through it. I knocked that off to drain the antifreeze from the tube and held on to it for something down the road.

I am all good now and happy again, lol.

Good news RC

It's the other end that antifreeze causes problems with (the tube mirror end)

Lasers are great till they go tilt then I hate them

best wishes

Dave