586,385 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting started

Well, I am new here. VERY NEW here. I may have an interesting opportunity to fire up a CNC operation. Let me try to explain and see what suggestions you might have.

Due to an illness, I am unable to retain a licence required for my previous career. The insurance company that is paying huge dollars towards my claim is looking for an alternate career for me. I have some milling ecxperience and experience building 3D models for video games on computers.

Anyhow, if all the stars were to line up, I would like to open a small CNC shop. I would need everything from training, machines and software. I have an idea of what I would be specializing in. That said, I woul dneed a machine that can do parts around 45x25 with spindle clearance of 15" or more. Material would be wood and aluminum.

What machines and software would you guys recommmend looking at? I would prefer something that has a Canadian (im in Ontario) rep for service and support.

Well, first of all if I were you I would make sure I have potential clients before spending the cash on anything. For instance I have the capabilities to specialize in ultra high tolerance aerospace products going to mars, but if I don't have the contracts then I won't be able to make products in my desired speciality. More often than not your customer base decides what you specialize in, and especially being a newcomer to the scene you aren't necessarily going to be able to do exactly what you want until you build your reputation and customer base first. This can be a very cutthroat industry to put it lightly.

Machines, tooling and software capable of full on 3D profiling can run you upwards of half a million depending on exactly what you want to do. Also you have to factor in overhead just to be able to turn the machine on. I have been looking into newer cam software and a fully functional 3d capable package will run you upwards of twenty thousand dollars or more depending on exactly what you want. The base gibbs software is only a few grand, but you can't do much more than simple 2d wireframes, any new functionality you want is pretty much another package add on, another few grand, and then you have to spend another few grand on the post processor and the simulation model for your particular machine.. have multiple machines and you need to spend even more. Any cam company worth a snot breaks every last bit of functionality into different packages to milk the most out of you, so when you end up being able to do what you really want you've bought numerous packages at thousands a piece. Not to mention training.

I personally don't have experience setting up my own shop but it really isn't as simple as buying a machine and making bank right off the bat. I don't mean to discourage you and I wish you the best of luck, but you'd be really wise to have a clear business model, clients set up and to have crunched all the numbers of just what its going to cost you to get up and running before you even cut your first piece of wood/metal.

As far as machine suppliers in Ontario there are a few out there but I personally have experience with both SMS and AMT. Both offer different ranges of products and are quite competitive with each other.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Not discouraged at all. I am investigating all aspects of this to get an idea of what MIGHT be a possibility.

First off, I have a client base in mind. It is an area that I have a good deal of knowledge in and have seen a need for some custom parts. The parts would not be what most would consider "high tolerance". They don't need to be. But, like with anything, aim as high as possible.

As for machines, half a mil is out of the question. My goal at this point is more of an income suppliment and the demands of the machine will not be 10 hours a day. The output will be small volume, small (guitar size or less) custom parts. I am looking for either a CNC Gantry router or even a CNC mill machine. Something along the lines of this Red/Cam unit for example.

As for software, again, top end would be nice, but not required. The parts are not extremely complex and in within a couple of days, I have leanred how to build them using Alibre's free CAD sample software. Yes, that software is more for the hobbyist, but it has allowed me to experiement with my ideas and make some progress.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your input. As I mentioned above, I am looking at small scale, small volume at this point. My machinery will be budget limited and for what I am wanting to do, that is ok. (for now)

cheers.