586,469 active members*
2,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Problem with Axis Locking Up

I recently acquired a Dyna Myte DM2400 vertical mill. It is set up in my shed in New Jersey and I have been running some small projects. Recently, I have been having problems with the x-axis getting jammed while in motion. It happens frequently either when manually jogging or when running a program. The stepper motor continues to run, but the table doesn't move. So now I have been trying to figure out why this is happening. As of now, I think it is caused by the low temperature of the shed, since it is winter after all... The machine could probably use a thorough cleaning too, but I am looking for a second opinion before I start taking things apart or lugging the 300 lb beast into my basement where it is warmer than 40 degrees. Anyone have any ideas that could help me? Thanks. Garrett

Does your 2400 have the automatic oiler? It could be that it just needs cleaned and oiled but generally speaking precisions machines are not made to operate in very cold temperatures. Parts shrink and the lubrication gets thick. I would try a good cleaning and lubrication and see how it goes. A small space heater might raise the temperature enough to make a big difference. I use one of those small 110V oil filled heaters in my small garage and it keeps things warm enough.
    Jeff Birt

Thanks for your response Jeff, sorry it took so long for me to reply, I have been working on this when I can find time. So the 2400 does have an automatic oiler, and it turns out it was totally gunked up. Now I have to go through the process of tracing each one of the oil lines through the machine and cleaning them out. I also brought the machine out of the cold and put it in my basement. It was tough, but we got like 4 guys together and got it down there.

Thanks for the advice!!

Garrett

A friend and I just moved my 2400 still in its custom enclosure.
    A lazy man does it twice.

BTW, I just refitted my 2400 with a G540 and SmoothStepper. The steppers are still the original 20+ year old motors. With the G540 the 2400 can do 40 IPM rapids! It is like a whole new machine. By working with a few customers who were wanting to do the same conversion I was able to put together an Excel sheet that covers all the stepper motor cable wire color codes that we came across. (The wire colors seem to be different on different vintage machines!)

I'll post this on my website if others are interested.
    Jeff Birt

I am with Jeff on this. I too use a G540 on mine in the original electronics cabinet, stock steppers and gear reduction. I don't like the reduction but it was built that way and until it fails, so be it. Great machine for its intent,
    A lazy man does it twice.

So four months later I am still having trouble with x axis freezing on this machine. I have rebuilt the automatic oiler, and swapped the x and y axis motors to try and rule out that option.

However, based on other thread I have been reading, I am still wondering if my motors are failing to push that axis. I am wondering if a motor upgrade will do the trick. Only the x axis gets stuck, but when it does it completely ruins a cut file that I can sometimes spend a decent amount of time getting half way through and then it all goes to ****.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Much appreciated,

Garrett

I am not familiar with that particular machine, but loose gibs or any one of several other adjustment problems can cause intermittent locking up when under the vibration of cutting, but not when just testing the axis. If its only one axis, I would say to keep looking there and not the power of the motor.
    I can't imagine X would be that much harder to push than Y, and certainly not as hard to push as Z. Also check acceleration ramp if it moves slowly but stalls on start or direction change, not mid move.

Hi, if'n those oil lube pipes were gunked up, the X axis slide ways are too.

You'll have to move the table out of the dovetails.....(if'n it runs on doevetails)....and clean the slides out.

At the same time you can do a few measurements on both the male and female dovetails to see if'n you have "waisting" wear in the middle of the table run......you can't adjust the table slideways if'n the middle is worn.

If'n you don't know how to measure the dovetails for wear, then it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to refurbish the machine.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by cameraguy View Post
    I am not familiar with that particular machine, but loose gibs or any one of several other adjustment problems can cause intermittent locking up when under the vibration of cutting, but not when just testing the axis. If its only one axis, I would say to keep looking there and not the power of the motor.
    I can't imagine X would be that much harder to push than Y, and certainly not as hard to push as Z. Also check acceleration ramp if it moves slowly but stalls on start or direction change, not mid move.

It does freeze more often when starting a move or when accelerating. Would this mean it is an adjustment issue?

Hi, a reluctance to "get started" could probably mean the oil in the ways has deteriorated and gone sticky.

I would slacken off the gibs and run the table out to the max, one end, and apply kerosene to the dovetails with a brush, then run the table out to the other end max, and do the same again.....do this a couple of times....it should dissolve the clagged up oil, if any.

Then oil up and adjust the jibs, testing for full travel etc.

Depending on the machine's age and history, 10:1 you will have most wear in the centre of the table, so adjustment of the jibs will be a compromise at best.
    Ian.