587,067 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Chinese made tapping head - thoughts?

Chinese made tapping head - thoughts?

Hi Guys,

I have a bunch of small holes I'm going to be tapping - in the M2 to M4 range or 2-56, 4-40 etc.

I'm looking at my options for tapping and from what I've read so far it seems that some people with converted machines are having better luck with the auto reversing tapping heads versus the Tension / Compression heads that require spindle reversal.

So that is what I'm looking for - an auto reversing tapping head. My question: does anybody have experience with the cheap "tapmatic" knock off tapping heads sold by various ebay sellers or Shars (discount_tools), etc? like this one: 1/4" REVERSIBLE TAPPING HEAD NEW MACHINE TAP | eBay

Does the reversing ratio matter much (some are 2:1 some are listed as 1.6:1, etc)

I have the space for it on my mill (the MD001 - super siize RF45) as I have 18 inches of Z travel so that part doesn't matter.

Mike

Unless you're doing very small threads, I would suggest you use thread milling, rather than a tapping head. It's quick and easy.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Mike,

I have a tapmatic knock-off in the larger size (up to 1/2")

Haven't used it with CNC yet, but I've used it plenty on the manual mill & I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Unless you're doing very small threads, I would suggest you use thread milling, rather than a tapping head. It's quick and easy.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    You know a source for reasonable cost thread mills? Been thinking about that myself. Making a small tooling plate soon and tapping 44 3/8-16 holes would be much nicer if I could just thread mill them.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

ninefinger,
    I have a "Taco" knockoff which I believe is made in India. I recently had to do 50 M3 holes for a router that I am building. Busted one tap because I did NOT properly setup my cam program. But after I got that sorted out all the rest of the holes went perfectly. Matter of fact still using the same tap!
    the only thing you really need the reversing ratio for is when your going to do this process by cnc so you can get the feeds right and not either pull the tap out of the holder of strip threads because your going to slow! See above! I busted my tap because I had a wrong setting and it was pulling the tap out of the holder and all of a sudden the tap did not come all the way out before it tried to move to the next hole....scratch one tap:{(
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    You know a source for reasonable cost thread mills? Been thinking about that myself. Making a small tooling plate soon and tapping 44 3/8-16 holes would be much nicer if I could just thread mill them.
    I really have no idea what a "reasonable cost" is, but here is one for 16UN threads....depends on the depth you need.

Xactform solid carbide thread mill CNC mill die mold shop TMN1/4x0.240 16 UN new | eBay

I think the same seller has another 16UN thread with 3 spiral flutes and a depth of about .750..but it is a little more expensive ~$100.

Gonna have to look into these..never really used them before. I like the idea of the multi-tooth versions for speed, but the single tooth sounds nice because it can do any pitch.

I have the smaller TapMatic. I've liked it for the little amount I've used it. You can go right back into a tapped hole to make it deeper if it clutches out on you.

Not sure how that works with the reverse ratio and CNC? Guess you have to modify the retract feed rate? I think the reverse is just to get out of the hole faster for faster overall cycle times on many holes -

-Doug

Doug,
    "Not sure how that works with the reverse ratio and CNC? Guess you have to modify the retract feed rate? I think the reverse is just to get out of the hole faster for faster overall cycle times on many holes -"
    Yes, I believe your correct. Also on cnc, you have to program in the appropriate distance for the clutch to work for reversing. My cam program wanted the max travel rate and that is what screwed things up for me. I inserted a little less than half and it works fine. This would be especially important if your doing blind holes!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Ah-ha I found this. Good source for thread mills that don't cost a fortune each. Now to figure out how to produce the code for EMC2.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/816010-post19.html
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Another thread mill source, that is decently priced.

Lake Shore Carbide

Well as nobody shouted "don't do it" I went ahead and ordered the one I linked to in my original post. Thread milling seems interesting, especially for larger holes and in tougher materials but for what I have lined up a tapping head makes more sense. Simple G code or even manual operation on a drill press, pick your tap and away you go. At $40 per thread mill staring price I can see quite the investment to collect all the proper pitches needed for a job shop type environment and that still does not cover below 2-56 or M2.

Thanks for your opinions guys - it pushed me over the edge. Now onto shopping for a larger lathe....

Mike

Ah, but break a few taps, and...

If you can't rescue them, you throw parts away, and since a lot of them here have more $$ in them than the tap...

We've got tapmatics, but if you can find something that is reliable and Bogie-proof, go for it... I'd rather tap and be done than deal with the CNC stuff with most things... The cutters can do oddball stuff tho, where the taps can't...

Can you tell me the difference bettween the laser cutting machine and the milling machine?

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Well as nobody shouted "don't do it" I went ahead and ordered the one I linked to in my original post. Thread milling seems interesting, especially for larger holes and in tougher materials but for what I have lined up a tapping head makes more sense. Simple G code or even manual operation on a drill press, pick your tap and away you go. At $40 per thread mill staring price I can see quite the investment to collect all the proper pitches needed for a job shop type environment and that still does not cover below 2-56 or M2.

Thanks for your opinions guys - it pushed me over the edge. Now onto shopping for a larger lathe....

Mike