586,178 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > lathe live tooling programming

lathe live tooling programming

i recently got a lathe with live tooling and a fanuc Oi-tb controller. i dont have problem with the simple stuff ie. drilling and some milling, but i would like to get some software that can really tackle the harder live tooling jobs. what the easiest to learn and affordable? Thanks

Affordable is a relative term. I use GibbsCAM and Mill/Turn + rotary mill and a post, plus training will set you back better than 10K. However, it is fairly easy to learn.

Having said that, you were not very specific on what is "harder" live tooling machining, or if your machine has a Y-axis. If it does not have a Y axis you would use Polar milling (G12.1 or G112 to turn on and G13.1 or G113 to turn off). It is very similar to programming in X and Y on a machining center, except that the Y values become C values. That will take care of most of your face milling projects, but not OD milling, engraving, etc.

If you care to drop me a line with a print or model, I could send you a sample program for milling.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. No Y axis unfortunately. I did do a little polar coordinate interpolation i just thought maybe their was an easiler way to program it. Our company is moving to a bigger place so i will be offline for a while but as soon get back up i will send you a print. Thanks

Polar milling is the easieast way to do it without a Y axis.
    If you are doing engraving, I would try out Millwrite from Endpoint Software.
    It is very reasonable and easy to use.
    Not sure what else may be out there outside of a full blown CAM system.