586,395 active members*
2,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

quick-change system for dremel

Is there a quick-change system that's compatible with my dremel threads/ collet?

I would like to have all my bits put into some type of shank, or tool holder on a table all calibrated to the same depth/point - and swap them out.

Right now I have to unscrew the collet, take it out, put it in and be nervous about it being out of calibration. I would like to have them all sit on a table or something, then click or slide in w/ pin (or however it's done).
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Do some searching on the 5 bears site. He had something setup for his Kavo that might work with a dremel...

http://www.5bears.com/cnc.htm

Carlo

It looks like he's using a $200 tormach system; that's nice - but I was looking for something less expensive.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

The Tormach is an R8 system, and is not the Kavo unit alluded to by Carlo..

Quote Originally Posted by jdownie
    The Tormach is an R8 system, and is not the Kavo unit alluded to by Carlo..
    Right,

look a little deeper on the site (it is huge) and you'll find the fixed tooling setup that he's using for his Kavo (1/8", just like your Dremel).

http://www.5bears.com/cnc35.htm

Its nothing more than a plastic "stop ring" attached to each individual bit. The ring is offset from the bit's tip by a pre-measured distance. This acts as a "stop", ensuring a pre-defined distance from spindle to tip each time it is loaded. Simple, CHEAP solution, and it works!

Carlo

I have looked into the depths of this site...Ended up buying a KaVo myself. It is truly a fantastic resource.

Thats a nice system to index the bits that is cheap. I was looking for a piece I can screw into the threads of the Dremel, and connectors I can put on my bits - that link with a pin.

The whole point is to eliminate the need for me to unscrew the collet, put in a bit, and then screw the collect tight again.

I seen a quick-change system for sears router - simular to this same system I am looking for. And, for some reason I see systems like this for sale for too much money for what seems to me to be a simple few-part device that could be machined on a lathe; if I had one, or used one.

DrStein99:

But who cares about that; when the ladies look so good in exotic designer camoflauge.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget about the quick change dremel and go for the quick change camoflauge.

Jerry

If you're interested in seeing the ladies quick-change from fully dressed, to athletics, to swim bikini's then you should attend the next RAID GEAR fashion show; in the Philadelphia area.

The robots I make; produce the clothes from the templates made using the same system I use to sell my designs used in video games. So the in-game clothes match the real clothing; from a simulated digital mannequin.

DrStein99

The robots I make; produce the clothes from the templates made using the same system I use to sell my designs used in video games. So the in-game clothes match the real clothing; from a simulated digital mannequin.
    ----------------------------
    The technology appears to be very interesting.

Jerry

If you're interested in modeling for video games, you can learn - and make money selling the designs:

www.IMVU.com | www.THERE.com

Sears quick route

I have been looking for a place to post this and would appreciate any help. I saw the reference to the Sears collet. It looks like an excellent system for CNC since the tool length would be preset. I was thinking about finding a used router and removing the shaft to use in a homemade spindle assembly to take advantage of the quick change collet.

Can anyone tell me if the shaft/spindle is part of the rotor or if it can be removed. The owners manual shows no breakdown of the motor. This could be a Sears or a Porter Cable since Sears makes the Quick Route for both.

Thanks,

A router is nothing more than a universal motor with bearings on either side of the armature with one shaft longer than the other. At the end of the shaft it is machined to recieve a collet and threaded for a nut.

The armature is made up of many layers of steel plates with grooves cut in them for wires to fit. This whole assembly is them pressed onto the shaft to form the armature. To get it off, remove the wire, I use a high speed air driven cut-off tool. Cut a groove lenghtwise across the plates down to the shaft. Be careful as you get to the shaft as not to cut into it, a slight nicking is ok. Pry the goove open and remove the plates from the shaft. Yes it is labor intensive but it can be done. Or you could have a shaft made up to recieve a collet.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

It would be easier just to mount the router w/ the quick-change system in use and use that as the tool - lol!

I think the routers just have a splined shaft that come out - just like the dremel; only it's larger.

---

I've still been looking for a small tool changer and havent found it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99
    It would be easier just to mount the router w/ the quick-change system in use and use that as the tool - lol!
    The router isn't all that smooth running. I suspect cheap bearings and a less than perfectly balanced motor. I hope that once I get the shaft out and add better bearings, it will run true and vibration free in a new spindle assembly.

Thanks for the info. I suspected that I would have to cut the shaft out but wasn't entirely sure what I would be up against.

You have a good idea. I was working with testing differnt things with my system. Currently, its a dremel attached to a dremmel aluminum handle flex shaft. I use the flex shaft for many reasons; primarily to allieviate pressure from the z-axis w/ viabration, and also building a silencer for the motor.
    ---

In short: The dremel system is a fast, light-weight and workable solution. Once I started adding things like a chuck - or a hevier flex shaft designed for a router - it started producing problems. When I adapted a different system that has more weight or resistance, then the motor and drivetrain for dremel hardware started to become a maintainance issue, as well as losing speed and power, rendering the motor somewhat useless in it's normal high-speed advantage. At that point it would have been more reasonable to hookup a flex-shaft to a sears router and use that - given all the HP behind that system, altough - it simply does not have the 30k rpms I need.

The dremel motor relies on a light-weight, low resistance drive - like a hummingbird.