586,494 active members*
2,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 6 123

Also building a CRP4848

Hello all. First time post. I've been a cutting tool engineer for 32 years and I finally decided to set myself up with a machine to work on some of my own projects. I'm building the CRP4848 from CNC Router Parts. Looks like there are going to be quite a few people building this machine. I'm going to try and add both pictures and video of my build as I go along. I want to try and show the actual assembly for those that might want to purchase and build their own. Going to try and link a video showing the electronics I will be using.

Base components.

Here is an over view of the machine base components.

Assembling the base.

Assembling the base. Here are a few pics of the fasteners and angles supports. The Button Head Bolts screw into the ends of the cross members and slide into the slots into the side rails. The short bolts need to go into the inside of the angle supports so you can get a socket on them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Base-1.JPG   Base-2.JPG   Base-3.JPG  

Adding X-Axis Rails & End Stop Bumpers.

Clean the steel plate first with a rag. I used a fine grit foam pad to remove surface scale and oxide. Wipe clean and wipe on some WD-40. Line up the bolts on the rail with holes in the plate and lower the plate on to the rail. Just sung up the nuts for now. The plates will need adjusted when putting on the Risers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Base Rail-1.JPG   Base Rail-2.JPG   Base Rail-3.JPG  

Assembling the Gantry Risers.

Here is a n over view of the parts for the Gantry Risers. You have to assemble the extended carriages with the bolts, lock washers, nuts, and bearings. You will want to attach the brushes first so you can get at the bolts. Slide the extended carriages on the rail and adjust the set screws till the bearings are snug. Lay the Riser on top of the extended carriages and screw in the 3/8" bolts. You will want to use adjustable clamps to pull the carriages together before tightening the bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riser-1.JPG   Riser-2.JPG  

Assembling the Y-Axis.

Bring the Risers up to the stops and lay the Y-axis extrusion flat. Slide in the 8 bolts into the back past the risers. Slide the shorter bolt in the bottom past the risers. Measure in 1.25 from each end and mark a line for reference. Lift the extrusion up and set on the risers. Clamp one end and push the riser back on the other end just enough to slide the bolts into position. Line up the bolts with the holes and slide the riser forward. Attach some of the nuts to secure. Do the same for the other side. Check for square. Re-clamp the extended carriages on the risers and loosen the bolts. Twist the risers if necessary to square the axis. Re-tighten bolts and check movement. Repeat as necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y Axis-1.JPG   Y Axis-2.JPG   Y Axis-3.JPG   Y Axis-4.JPG  

Y Axis-5.JPG  

Nice videos...keep 'em coming!

Assembling the Y-axis rails.

Measure out the positioning of the rail spacers and mark a line for there locations. I set the rails in .250 from one end. The center on one rail clamp spacer is at 3.750 and the next at 15.500 from both sides. And one in the center. Line up the carriage bolts to the holes on the rails and install with the nuts. Do not tighten. Install the bolts for the spacer clamps and add the nuts, again do not tighten. Make sure the rails sit in the spacers and add clamps to the rails to pull them together. Tighten the spacer clamps first and then the rails before removing the clamps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry-1.JPG   Gantry-2.JPG   Gantry-3.JPG  

Assembling the Z/Y Plate

Install and adjust extended carriage on the top rail. Attach the Z/Y plate to the op carriage with the bolts but leave them loose. Install the bottom carriage with loose adjustment on the bearings. I used .3125 All-tread with washers and nuts to draw the carriages together. Tension the bearings on the bottom carriage. Adjust the All-tread till you can move the plate. Tighten up the bolts on the plate to the carriages. Remove the All-tread. Move back and forth and readjust as needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y Plate-1.JPG   Y Plate-2.JPG   Y Plate-3.JPG  

Y-Axis Rack

Had an issue with the bolts for the rack mounts. Because they are a press fit, the bolts were not long enough to get the nuts on. I reached under the bolts with an Alan wrench to push the bolts up and attach the nuts, then tapped the mounts with a brass hammer ((chair)) to move the mounts down so I could get enough threads into the nuts. Clamped the rack to the mounts then tightened the nuts. Location is easy, just located the one end of the rack to be flush with the end of the Y-Axis extrusion. Also bought a 1/4-20 by 1.250 long hex bolt for the R&P tension mount as you can't get to the head of the supplied Socket Head Cap Screw. Other than that, all worked out good. Also added a pic of the Z-Axis components.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y-RP-1.JPG   Y-RP-2.JPG   Y-RP-3.JPG   Y-RP-4.JPG  

Z-Axis-1.JPG  

Z-Axis assembly.

The extended carriages can be mounted in 2 positions, high and low. The low position will allow the Z-Axis extrusion to travel down to the work surface and the high position raises everything up 1.500". If you adjust your spindle mount to take this into account you will have more travel upwards allowing for longer tools. You must mount the bearing block/trust bearings and washers/locking collar/and the heli-coil coupler assembly first before mounting the steel plate. Mount the motor to get the bearing block location with the heli-coil almost the hole way on the motor shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-Axis-2.JPG   Z-Axis-3.JPG   Z-Axis-4.JPG   Z-Axis-5.JPG  

Z-Axis-6.JPG  

Thanks for sharing all the information and tips, very nice!

Cheers, Christoph

Just wanted to say Thank You to both Jibber and Wolfspaw for the nice comments. My best to both of you. I hope my postings are helping others out.

Best post yet on building alum erector set type machine .

sincerely ,

eigstein

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to do the detailed videos, I am three steps behind you in the assembly of my CRP4848 but I now watch your video of each step before I proceed as there are some great tips.

I am impressed with how well engineered and complete the kits are from CNC Router Parts and accuracy that is emerging during the build.

Cheers

John

Great tips in your videos. It'll be a huge help for helping me with my own build.

I hope you continue with this thread right up through your first cuts. As you can see, you have a bunch of interested followers.

Wolfspaw

I recently purchased one of these kits and while I haven't gotten all the parts yet, I greatly appreciate these videos, because I'm still a bit intimidated at the prospect of assembling one of these. I'm sure these videos will help. I'd also love to see how you fine tune the machine after it's all assembled and running!

Yes yes, please keep the vids coming!! We are all loving this!!

I just want to say Thank You, to everyone that left comments, it is appreciated. I am glad that so far my post's are helping those that are building, going to build, or are thinking about building one of these machines. I plan to keep going with posts beyond the first cuts to show what this machine can do. My best to everyone.

Page 1 of 6 123