586,125 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > What bearing brand for 7x headstock upgrade?

Post What bearing brand for 7x headstock upgrade?

I'm thinking of doing the roller bearing upgrade to the headstock of my 7x10 lathe before I convert it to CNC. Any advice on bearing brand? Timken? NTN? NSK? Bower? Any I should specifically avoid? I only have budget for standard precision bearings, but I'm a little concerned about LMS's unnamed tapered roller bearings.

Thanks,

K-

When i did the taperd roller bearing mod to my lathe during the conversion,i was also a bit dubious about useing the cheep un named brands so i used SKF's but i would think any of the brands you named would be fine. replaceing the spindle bearings is the kind of job you only want to do once.

regards
    Simon

Thanks Simon, I ended up ordering a pair of Timken bearings. I also decided to order the metal gear upgrade kit from LMS. It comes with the spindle puller, and I agree, probably a good idea to go in there once and be done.

A good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniel32 View Post
    Thanks Simon, I ended up ordering a pair of Timken bearings. I also decided to order the metal gear upgrade kit from LMS. It comes with the spindle puller, and I agree, probably a good idea to go in there once and be done.
    For run of the mill bearings sticking with the larger brand nanpmes makes good sense. It is not unusual for their standard bearings to exceed specs.

As for going in there once and being done with it, you can only hope! It doesn't take much to damage a bearing. When it comes time to open the bearing package make like a doctor and keep everything in the work area clean and shinny. You don't want contamination to get in the bearing.

The other thing to watch out for is the tight fit of the front inner race. These are often shrunk on. A toaster oven and a freezer may come in handy.