586,127 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Recommendations needed for a drag engraver.

Recommendations needed for a drag engraver.

I'd like to start drag engraving my parts. Had anyone got opinions on a good engraver to buy?

I will need one with a spring loaded tip.

Is this Ebay model any good?
    DIAMOND DRAG ENGRAVING BIT, SHERLINE, TAIG CNC MILL | eBay

Frederic

Don't know how good that one is... But that is really cool. The examples on that page are great!

David

i have one that i made for my novakon that uses a tts holder as its main body, so it installs just like any other tts tool. i have stuff to make another one, so i would be happy to sell you this one. it is brass with a 1/8" diamond tip that is replaceable for about $8-$10 online, but they last forever. you can also easily adjust the spring tension or replace it if you wish, but it was carefully designed and works well on all metals as is. i have engraved titanium with it with great results. i have been using it for almost 2 years now and have a key chain in my pocket every day done by it about that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanimports02 View Post
    i have one that i made for my novakon that uses a tts holder as its main body, so it installs just like any other tts tool. i have stuff to make another one, so i would be happy to sell you this one. it is brass with a 1/8" diamond tip that is replaceable for about $8-$10 online, but they last forever. you can also easily adjust the spring tension or replace it if you wish, but it was carefully designed and works well on all metals as is. i have engraved titanium with it with great results. i have been using it for almost 2 years now and have a key chain in my pocket every day done by it about that long ago.
    Interesting idea..... Where did you get the diamond tip? Is it like those used to sharpen grinding wheels? Do you have a photo so I can see what I am searching for.

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Interesting idea..... Where did you get the diamond tip? Is it like those used to sharpen grinding wheels? Do you have a photo so I can see what I am searching for.

Thanks,
    Robert
    If you search eBay for "Diamond Drag Engraver" you will see several different ones listed. The 1/8" 120 degree tips are probably a good choice since at least one of the commercial engravers uses them.

I imagine you can probably use a grinding wheel dresser tip in a pinch or for trying it out.

I a glad this topic came up. I have been wanting to make one for a while and keep forgetting to order the tips. Also this will let me use the TTS blank I messed up...

bob

Diamond Drag Engravers by J & M Diamond Tool, Inc.
    dr-1251 is the 1/8 x 1-1/8 120 degree point tip i used. it works awesome. here are a few pics of the tool i made. i used a 1/2" chunk of brass and 1/2" tts holder for max rigidity. it engraves very fine and has no side to side slop. i gave it over 3/4" travel for safety and more pressure adjustability it is a very simple design and all pieces are very simple and easy to find. i will sell it to you for $50 without the tts holder(i never seem to have enough of these things)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (3).JPG   photo (2).JPG   photo (1).JPG  

What is the application scenario for a spinning engraver bit vs a drag engraver?

A spinning engraver can remove material in a wide area, and can cut deeper. But your feedrates will be dependent on your spindle speed.

A drag engraver is just making scratches, so it cannot cut very deep at all. Since the spindle is stopped, you can engrave at higher feedrates. I assume that there's an upper limit to a drag engraver's speed, but don't know what it is.

Thanks guys..... That looks like something fun to mess with.

Robert

A nice simplification, using a TTS for the body of a spring loaded drag engraver.

This one looks interesting. No association but probably a future customer.

Redsail,Cutting Plotter,Vinyl plotter,Vinyl cutter

Re: Recommendations needed for a drag engraver.

Similar price item here http://www.dragengraving.com/

Watch the replacement tips costs. IIRC in the site above, replacement diamond tips are GBP 8 and carbide tips GBP 2.

I've seen people asking USD 30 for diamond tips.

Cheers,

Bob.

Hi All,

I have just purchased one from these guys:

Engraving Tools and Cutters, Spring Loaded Engraving Tools, Vacuum Chucks, Engraving Software

Haven't yet had a chance to give it a go, but it is a well made bit of kit.

Cheers,
    Adrian..

$345 ? Seriously? To use for drag engraving? If you've spent the money, use it for normal engraving with a rotating cutter.

I think rotary milling cutters give a better finish on lines over 8 thou wide. Which is what most of us are doing. Drag engraving is for small work or fine lines (like engraved artwork).

No question, drag engraving is very, very fast but it's limited to certain types of work.

Cheers,

Bob.