586,102 active members*
2,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Vasco 5000 rust problem

Vasco 5000 rust problem

I am new to the CNC world, in April i bought a Haas TM1-P and was told to run Vasco 5000. I noticed from day 1 that the vise and tool holders would rust really bad. I have run the Brix% anywhere from 7to25 and no matter what i do the rust problem is horrible.

Does anyone have any experiance with the 5000? i am now going to try Rustlick Ultracut 380r from ITW.

Any imput would be appreciated.

Using tap water? D.I. water?

Is the rust right on the surface of the steel, and how fast does it show up?
    How old is the coolant, are you adding coolant to water when mixing....is there hip hop music allowed in the shop (that caused my tool box to be rusted shut until it was stopped)...and does Vasco need a supplemental rust inhibitor?

It's not real uncommon for rust to form in between surfaces, like between the base of a vise and the table on a mil...where you can get anaerobic conditions and stinky too.
    I've had similar, though much less severe rusting with Master Chemical E206. Good product, have used it in both turning and milling, not without its flaws.

We bought a reverse osmosis system to provide water, and that solved several problems, like increasing mineral build up from evaporation, and eliminated the de-ionized water chemistry issues.

The main issue with the rust is that the ways and ball guides are pitted bad and both Y&X axis ways are coverd in rust. I had the haas tech out here today to look at it and he was blown away how bad it was. I have been in contact with Blaser about this and i tried all of the "Black Magic" water Filtering and Drinking water and every other excuse they gave me!
    I did a little experiment with new 5000 mixed in tap water and in filterd water, along with old 5000 out of the sump and with a couple of other mineral based soluble oils. I applied all of these to a bare cast iron plate and the only ones that rusted right away was vasco 5000.

Re: Vasco 5000 rust problem

Among other MWFs, I tested Vasco 1000 and 5000 in the lab. Vasco 5000 has far better corrosion inhibition in steel and cast iron than 1000 (that is really horrible), but is still not good enough. I noticed also higher foaming and not that good stability in hard water.