586,748 active members*
7,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Is There A Way???

Is There A Way???

Once I've created all my various operations and I have the list of those operations on the left side of my screen. After having gone through all the trouble of creating those operations, is there a way to change the sequence of those operations without having to re-do them?

In the same scenario, if I decide to add just one more operation to my list of operations and I want to place it at the top of the order, is there a way to do that without having to start from scratch?

I'm inclined to believe there is a way, I just don't know what it is or how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer up.

MetalShavings

You can drag and drop your operations on the left side of the screen. You will have to regenerate them all after you finish moving them.

Frederic

As well as drag and drop you can copy and paste multiple times. For example you can pick an operation at the bottom of the list, copy it, and then highlight any other operation and paste. The copied operation will be pasted below the highlighted one. Also something I use often is turning off an operation. In the attached screen shot I turned off Finishing Waterline and the deep drill simply by double clicking the box where the green checks are. Sometimes I need to redo an op or need to restart the whole project in mid stream, by toggling the completed operations "off" I can quickly get the post for just the ops needed.

Mark...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SC7 Ops.JPG  

I got a chance to try the "Drag and Drop" method that Fredric mentioned and while I was testing that I also did the "Copy and Paste" thing.

Doing both is simple enough but, on my computer every time I did either one, the operations no longer functioned as they were originally set up. I understand that I'd have to re-run the tool paths on them but, after having "Dragged and Dropped" or Copied and Pasted," the operations wouldn't function properly any more.

I'm not sure why. I don't even know how to explain what I was experiencing. It was similar to some of the problems I had when I first loaded the SprutCAM software onto my computer. It was a nighmare with any unexplainable symptoms and problems that even the designated SprutCAM experts couldn't figure out.

I have no desire to go thru that again so:

In the end I just had to start from scratch and redo all the operations. Any future setups will have to be done with an eye toward doing it right the first time so I don't have to go back and redo things.

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

MetalShavings

Each operation is calculated based on the previous machining results. When you move them, Sprut has to recalculate, and the results will be different.

With Sprut, it definitely pays to plan your strategy before you get too involved in the details of the programming. Figure out how you're going to make the part and your order of operations before you get into the details of any of your operations.

The sequence should be something like this.
    Define stock
    Set up coordinate systems.
    Set up operations, but don't address feeds, speeds, cut depths, or lead in/out.
    Make any changes to the order of operations.
    Go back to set up feed and speed, cut depth, lead in/out, and machining strategies.

That should help.

Also, if you've got multiple work offsets in a program, drag and drop can really mess you up. For instance, dragging a G55 operation to the wrong point can cause Sprut to try and run it from the G54 work offset. That may make the toolpath do nothing because Sprut can no longer find a way to get the tool to the surface.

Frederic