586,500 active members*
1,654 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Running CNC in cold garage. Bad for steppers?

Running CNC in cold garage. Bad for steppers?

Hey guys,

After nearly 14 months, my beautiful build is nearly complete. Just working out the final details now. I'm in WI and the winters get cold here. My garage can be 20 degrees or less at times. I'm concerned about running the cnc in that cold temp. My garage is not heated. One of my concerns is the cold garage and the warming of the steppers during a run, cold/hot could create condensation on the windings of the stepper... maybe? Would you guys shy away from running it in these temps and just wait till spring? If waiting till spring means not ruining it, I'm fine with that.

Thanks.

Not that I have experience with cold temperatures...

But you can only get condensation if the surface temperature of a part drops below the dew point of a given humidity. If you run the steppers warm you will just dry them out and have no problem.

Only if you have the machine cool down during the night and then open the shop door to let more humid and warmer air in you shoul get external condensation. I personally would not worry too much about the machine although the grease might become sticky. I woul worry about freezing my a$$ off.

Hi Jerry,

Your explanation makes more sense than you think. I understand exactly what you mean. I guess I never noticed condensation when warming the garage up with the bullet heater in the past on my tools so I'm probably ok. I'm using super lube on my linear bearings/20mm rails. I did notice the grease a little thicker than normal due to the current temp but the gantry still moved very nicely by hand. I've run the steppers unmounted, on the workbench with a 20 min run and they do get a little warm to the touch. Perhaps the cold garage will benefit.

Thanks.