Figured i'd share this on here, been posting and sharing this on some other forums for a while, some of you know me from my other build, the 671 Blower;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/i_c_en...ercharger.html

I talk about my prototype engine on some of my videos but i figured it wouldn't hurt to share this and i know some people will find this really interesting.

the background behind this design is; I came up with this idea back when i was 18 then shortly after i found out that others have attempted this, so for the past 3 years i'v been researching and developing. I actually have my first design printed out with our company's 3D printer but like a lot of ideas, they change very rapidly and are much different by the time you done with them.

For those of you who don't know me, I work for Phillips Patterns & Castings & Diamond P Industries (DPI) in Muncie, IN, an aluminum Foundry and Production CNC shop. We making American made parts, Im an engineer, Foundry worker, Machinist, pattern maker and i can take any design and turn it into full production(fairly quickly if you've been following my blower build )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this build is going to be much slower than my others because this is still in design and prototyping and i also don't want to release much information on my design yet, but i will be documenting and posting all my work through my company and youtube channel when i feel i can, so sub if you interested in this stuff, cause i know a lot of you are.

dzuari's Channel - YouTube

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

been working on my design a bit and after about 9 hours of banging my head against my computer trying to figuring this out, i finally have graphed my valve porting and timing. Unfortunately i can't go into detail on the mechanics of my design or how i'm doing all this, you'll just have to believe me and trust that im not bs'ing .

before you start looking though i'd like to explain that this graph is not valve lift(rotors), this is a graph of the percent that the valve is open in relation to the crankshaft position.

Example: 160° BBDC on power, exhaust Opens, at 180°BDC the exhaust valve is about 70% open(not a mistake), so 70% of port area(4.4")= 3.08" of port area, 5-10° ABDC the port is fully open and is held open till about 310°(50°BTDC), so the exhaust port(4.4") is open 100% for 120° of the exhaust stroke.

Can't tell you how i'v achieved this but i can control how long i hold the valves open, overlap, intake opening and closing, exhaust opening and closing and how fast they open and close. Because of this, with a little tweaking, i can close exhaust and open intake within about 5-15° of overlap and control the percent of how much the ports are open during the overlap, and have the ports fully open for the duration of the cycle.

I just threw together a poppet valve comparison to the left to give a perspective of the port area difference, the piston bore on the poppet is 4"D and the valve is 2"D with 0.50" resulting in 3.33" valve area at full lift(the red cylinder). You can see the difference in port area compared to my design (yellow area, it is to scale)

So in comparison, a cam and poppet valve is always 1/2 the speed of the crank, so no matter what speed the engine is at, the valve is always either lifting or closing at a relative speed to the crank.

If i took the time to graph the poppet valve, i would have to create a point cloud of the percent area that the port is allowing flow in relation to the crank position, so the poppet valve would only achieve 100% port opening for a millisecond at the top of its lobe, where as, i can hold mine fully open for how ever i long i want.

on top of that, my RPM redline is only limited to how much air i can get into the cylinder before the valves close, and since i can hold 180° compression and power, i can harness more power out of the explosion before the valves open, and less overlap also mean more efficient too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now im not happy with this graph, to much overlap and i want the intake to stay open a little longer, but i spent about 5 hours staring at numbers trying to figure this all out, then 3 hours doing only to realize i screwed up, then 3 more fixing it, so i don't really want to make another one right now.

Once i get my valve timing how i want it, im going to design the engine based off it then print out a scaled prototype with our printer just to make sure everything fits correctly, then ill go through the same processes that i did with my other builds and get a working prototype, then after i feel its working well, ill move on to manufacturing single, v twins, V4 then V8's.